Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I had a great 26th birthday!

I just wanna thank everyone for a terrific birthday last Saturday (April 25, 2009). It was a great time and I think my best birthday yet (if not one of the best :). After gettin' up in the mornin', I headed over to Bollman Bridge Elementary School in Jessup (Howard County), Maryland for the inaugural Bollman Bridge Elementary School Tech Trot 5K. The course was fairly challenging, getting a bit hilly towards the middle, but I've definitely run on harder courses. The course was pretty much an out-and-back course starting and ending out in front of Bollman Bridge Elementary School (where I spent my last year of preschool at before kindergarten) and Patuxent Valley Middle School (where I attended the sixth and seventh grade, which were some rougher years for me).
The race started around the flat campus of the two schools and even though there was a bit of confusion about where to turn at the very beginning, we were able to follow the arrows left around a bit of Patuxent Valley MS and quickly pick up the bike path that runs behind it. This bike path is well shaded (which I appreciated on this rather muggy morning) and it had a few rolling hills that made it a challenging part of the race (not to mention knowing that we would have to run over it towards the end of the race coming back to the school). After this path with lightly rolling hills, we emerged in the Savage Park in Savage, Maryland, and for a very brief period, we ran on the grass behind this backstop on a baseball diamond while a baseball game with younger kids was going on (and I dunno if people watching the game were cheering us runners on or the ballgame, hahaha :)- Shortly after running through this small section of Savage Park, we were back in this neighborhood and I ran through the first mile in about 6:32. I had a feeling that that first mile was kinda long 'cause I felt like I was running a lot harder than a 6:32-mile, and usually I run a lot faster the first mile of a 5K race. Then again, I'll admit that I did have to pee from the start of the race, so that may have slowed me up, but by the time I got ot the one-mile mark, it did not seem to affect me that much. If anything, it promted me to want to finish the race as soon as possible so I could find a bathroom after.

Well, after going through the first mile in the shaded neighborhood, we came to this steady uphill, the one that I knew was back on this course and I knew it was probably going to be the biggest hill on the course. I was right, but fortunately it did not seem as hard as I thought it would be. I was surprised that it was over with sooner than I had thought. However, I was feeling a bit burdened by the heat and I wanted the race to be over very soon. After getting to the top of the hill, I ran in a rectangular loop (if that makes any geometrical sense) around this nice neighborhood in Jessup or Savage (it was probably Savage, because towards the end of this loop, I ran right by the Savage Volunteer Fire Company). After the loop, I made a left to go back down what I saw as the biggest hill on the course. Though, I did not go all the way down the hill this time, but made a right on this other streeet before I reached the bottom, as that was where the course marshal was pointing. Shortly after making that right turn I went through the two-mile mark in about 12:25. Now that was more like it; I felt like at the pace I was going, that I was going hard enough to run a time like that for two miles. I figured that that first mile was measured a bit long, 'cause if it was correct, that would have meant that I dropped about 5:53 that second mile, and I felt like maybe I sped up just a little bit at best, but certainly not that much.

All that math aside, I was grateful that I had only a little over a mile to go at this point at the most. I enjoyed the course and scenery, but I found the heat and the hills grueling enough to want me to have the whole thing over with. I was praying that God would help me maintain around the time I ran back through that small grassy portion of the Savage Park as the baseball game was going. As I got back on the paths that would no doubt prove challenging because of the rolling hills, I remembered what Kay (my girlfriend) told me not to worry about how well I did, whether I won or not, that she liked me anyway. She liked me for me and not how well I could run. To me that meant a lot, 'cause I knew no matter how well I fared at this race, she would still like me. That put a smile on my face as I made a right turn on the paths that would take me back to the schools near the finish line and I felt my pace pick up. At this point, I had taken the lead in the race earlier on within the first mile, and I felt that I was ahead by a fairly significant amount. Though, I knew no matter what the outcome of this race would be, I knew God loves me unconditionally and that my girlfriend (who was not there at the race herself) would still be happy for me and be there for me! That helped keep my spirits high as I ran up and down the rolling hills (which at least were in the shae) along the bikepath. Off to my right I saw more sunlight, which meant I was nearing the fields behind Patuxent Valley Middle School and Bollman Bridge Elementary School. I knew I was almost there.

I ran out fo the woods along the path, getting closer to Patuxent Valley Middle School where I went to middle school. As I tried to pick it up, I ran past this one young gentleman jogging/running along listening to his I-Pod or something like that. At this point, I figured I had about less than half-a-mile to go. The path climbed uphill a bit steadily before connecting with the parking lot, and I was relieved that this was the last hill on the course. Coming off the path I glanced back, and not that far behind me on the path, I caught a glimpse of someone in a dark colored singlet, and I thought for a moment it was one of those fast-looking high school runners I had seen at the start of the race (and I know from experience those younger runners can really put on a strong kick at the end). With that in mind, I bolted across the parking lot along the side of Patuxent Valley Middle School, through the three-mile mark in 18:51, and then angled to the right in front of the school. Up ahead, I saw the front of Bollman Bridge Elementary School and a lot of people standing there, cheering me on at the finish line. I continued to run hard across the parking lot in front of Patuxent Valley Middle School to the finish line in front of Bollman Bridge Elementary school, which I crossed in 19:20. I was so happy that I got through that race, won it, and not only that won it on my birthday. Not to brag, I guess I have the course/race record for the time being since it was the first time they had it. God is good and I certainly thanked Jesus out loud for getting me through. It was certainly not the hilliest course I've run, but I got some getting used to with this warmer weather in these spring and summer months, and that made it a little harder for me I think. After catching my breath, I turned around to cheer other runners on. I was expecting to see one of the high school runners coming around the corner of Patuxent Valley Middle School to finish, however, I did not see them, and I soon realized that person I saw on the bike paths who I thought was in the race was most likely the runner/jogger I had passed towards the end of the race who was listening to his I-Pod. Hahaha, I guess I psyched myself out extra!

The person who finished second, to my pleasant surprise, was my friend David, with the first female (a younger girl who I think was in high school), not very far behind. David finished pretty well and has been running well considering that he is doing more races than normal and was training for a half marathon. David and I used to hang out quite a bit in elementary school recess, but then enver saw each other after we graduated from Atholton Elementary School in 1995, but back in the summer of 2004, we met at a Centennial One-Mile Fun Run (that actually did not end up occurring that evening) in Ellicott City (Howard County), MD, which is a series of rather hilly one-mile fun runs that the Howard County Striders are involved in. I recognized David and soon after we started catching up on a run we did, and after seeing each other at races more and talking over the internet via instant messenger, we became friends, and now I see him very often whenever I got to a Howard County Striders race (especially at their low-key weekly series races). What was really neat was that our elementary school physical education (P.E.) teacher from Atholton Elementary School moved over to teach P.E. at Bollman Bridge Elementary School over the years and she got to help out at this race. We even got a photo with her after the race; sort of an Atholton Elementary School reunion!

What a neat birthday present that was! And for the record, as long as the distance between three miles and 3.1 miles was measured accurately at the end of this race course, I had run that distance in under 30 seconds (and I don't think I have ever run from 3.0-to-3.1 miles in under 30 minutes before in a 5K race, and if I had, it has certainly been a long time)! So I was pretty happy about that too! I would not be surprised if this course was a bit long, at least with the first mile, but I still liked the course and if they have it again in the future, I would not mind making it back! I think I had wanted to get under 19:30 anyway, or actually maybe 19:00 I think, but I did not think it would be that hard to break 19:30. I guess it was a combination of the hills, heat, and possibly the course being a little longer than 5-kilometers (approximately 3.1 miles).

So that race got my birthday off to a nice start. Afterwards, I went to visit my parents and I think I mowed the lawn and helped some neighbors move a new jacuzzi in their backyard as well! Later that evening, my friend Walton and I went over to Edgewater (Anne Arundel County), MD to meet up with my brother, Kay, and some of my other friends for my birthday dinner at this really nice and classy seafood restaurant by the water called Yellowfin. I enjoyed the food, company, and the fact that if I had not already, I was eating in a unique restaurant in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, getting one more county in on my "Maryland Munch" quest to eat at a unique restaurant in every county in Maryland in my lifetime. We had a great time; it was great to see my friends; a lot of who already knew Kay. It was the first time we had celebrated my birthday as a couple, so that was indeed special :)

Afterwards, Walton and I drove home and by the time I got back to my place in Baltimore County, MD, I was pretty tuckered out from a fairly busy, yet terrific birthday. God really blessed it with so many wonderful experiences, memories, and people! Thank you all for reading and being very patient with me these past few months to update. I wish you all well and God's blessings, and I hope to see you all/talk to you all again :)

Running Events I have done as of Saturday, April 25, 2009

January

- Sunday, January 18, 2009 - "Inaugural" All-comers Indoor Track & Field Meet - Thomas Jefferson Community Center, Arlington (Arlington County), Virginia:

1). 1-mile race - 14th overall since some mile times run in other heats were faster than mine, (7th overall in the "Elite heat") - 5:26.7 (not bad considering my shoe came untied around half-way into the race :)

2). 800-meter race - 2nd overall - 2:17.78 (my best time in this event at this track venue and very well-paced too :)

3). 3,000 meter race - 15th overall (13th overall in the second heat) - 11:27.8 (I accidentally ran a lap extra and ran about 3,200 meters worth, and my 3,000 meter split was about 10:46, which would have put me at about 8th overall and 8th in this particular heat. This is also my best time-to-date for 3,000 meters at this track venue :)

4). Saturday, January 24, 2009 – Inaugural Chesapeake Bay Running Club Trail Run #1 (5K) – King’s Landing Park, Huntingtown (Calvert County), Maryland – 2nd overall – 19:21

- Sunday, January 25, 2009 – Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex All-Comers’ Showcase Indoor Track & Field Meet – Landover (Prince George’s County), MD:

5). 1-mile race – 4th overall – 5:03

6). 400 meter race – 5th or 6th probably (second-to-last in heat) – 1:04ish (I think this was the first time since middle school I ran this race J )

7). 800 meter race – Not sure how I placed – 2:16/2:17ish; I couldn’t see my time on the clock clearly.

8). 200 meter race – 8th in the heat I was in and last place in heat - :41 (my first time since middle school running this race J)

February

- Sunday, February 1, 2009 – Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex All-Comers’ Showcase Indoor Track & Field Meet – Landover (Prince George’s County), MD:

9). 1-mile race – 4th overall - 5:03.4 (best 1-mile time at this venue :)

10). 800 meter race – Open/Masters Heat Winner – 2:12.7 (best time at this venue :)

11). 3,200 meter race – 11:16 (and 10:37 for the 3,000 meter split, both 3K and 3,200 meter times are personal best times at this venue J)

12). Saturday, February 7, 2009 – Inaugural Chesapeake Bay Running Club Trail Run #2 (Four-Miler) – Calvert Cliffs State Park, Lusby (Calvert County), MD – 3rd overall – 27:31

13). Sunday, February 8, 2009 – Bear Run Four-Miler – Pleasant Valley/Westminster (Carroll County), MD – 11th overall – 27:07

March

14). Sunday, March 8, 2009 – Howard County Striders “Operation Iceberg” (Winter Series) Race #8 : Thunder Hill Elementary School 2-miler – Columbia (Howard County), MD – 6th overall – 14:19

15). Saturday, March 14, 2009 – Run4Luck Four-Mile Run – Lancaster (Lancaster County), Pennsylvania – 40th overall – 26:51.55 (I ran negative splits here J)

16). Sunday, March 22, 2009 – Inaugural Break-in the Bypass 5K – Greenmount/Hampstead (Carroll County), MD -10th overall (9th overall if you don’t count the two-person relay team ahead of me) – 19:46 (clock), 19:42ish (watch)

17). Saturday, March 28, 2009 – 4th Annual Keep Your Colon Rollin’ 5K – Jefferson Patterson Park (new course and venue), Saint Leonard (Calvert County), MD – Winner (20-29 age group division winner as well) – 19:35

18). Sunday, March 29, 2009 – 4th Annual Marriotts Ridge High School Mustang Stampede 5K Run – Marriotts Ridge High School, Marriottsville (Howard County), MD – 11th overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 18:24.56 (great pacing and my first time running under a six-minute mile in a long while J)

19). Saturday, April 4, 2009 – 26th Annual Stillond-to-Betterton Tree Run – Started in Stillpond and ended at Betterton Beach (Kent County), MD – Winner – 22:42 (as of this race, I can say that I have won a race in all nine counties of Maryland’s Eastern Shore within my lifetime; praise God! J)

20). Saturday, April 18, 2009 – 4th Annual Adkins Arboretum Arbor Day/”Into the Woods” Fun Run 5K – Ridgely (Caroline County), MD – Winner – 17:51 (my best time on the 5K loop there and very nice for me considering I fell during the second half of the race :).

21). Saturday, April 25, 2009 (my 26th birthday :) – 1st Annual Bollman Bridge Elementary School Tech Trot 5K – Jessup/Savage (Howard County), MD – Winner – 19:20 (course went by Bollman Bridge Elementary and Patuxent Valley Middle Schools, where I went to preschool for one year and 6th and 7th grade :)


Please check out the events I did in 2008:

http://ranineverymdcounty.blogspot.com/2008/12/
not-much-longer-until-2009.html

Please check out the events I did in 2007:

http://runineverymdcounty.blogspot.com/2007/09/
i-ran-in-running-event-in-all-of.html

“Maryland Munch” – Unique restaurants I have eaten at within my lifetime throughout Maryland

Allegany County

Anne Arundel County

- Yellowfin – Saturday, April 25, 2009 – Edgewater – Classy seafood restaurant by the water of the South River in Anne Arundel County. It’s right off of Route 2 South before heading over the bridge that crosses the South River. I went here with my brother, girlfriend, and friends on my 26th birthday to celebrate it. I recall having a delicious brie dish with fruit. I enjoyed it, as well as the company and atmosphere. Interestingly enough, there was a wedding/wedding reception in this big room/hall downstairs. Seems like it was a nice place to have one!

Baltimore City

Baltimore County

- Taneytown Deli – Thursday, February 26, 2009 – Catonsville – Nice, quaint little deli and shop tucked away off of Highway 144/Old Frederick Road. One of my co-workers recommended this to me and I went there for my first time with “Maryland Munch” in mind. I had “The Catonsville” sandwich. I think there were slices of turkey breast and ham on it; it tasted pretty nice overall. I probably should have seen what I could have done about getting some cheese on it, but it was fine enough. I also had a black and white muffin and that made for a nice dessert.

Calvert County

Caroline County

Carroll County

- Sunday, May 25, 2008 – Reisterstown/Westminster area – My friends Erica and Josh got married at Life Point Church (which used to be called Carroll Community Church), and then we went to a local country club for a receptoin. The food and appetitzeres were delicious from what I could remember (I apologize, I don’t clearly remember much more). I remember more of the dancing and fun I had catching up with people and friends I had not seen in a while!

Cecil County

- Saturday, May 10, 2008 – North East – After Dr. Daniel Williams and I ran at the Inaugural Run for Reading 4K in Bayview/North East, MD, we went over to a small coffee shop around downtown North East to talk more. Dr. Williams was in town to see family and run that Run for Reading, because after he had run that race in Cecil County, he had completed his goal of running a race in every county along the Mason-Dixon Line. As I recall the coffee and small food (I think I had a cookie, pastry, or something like that) were pretty good. We enjoyed ourselves!

Charles County

Dorchester County

- Saturday, April 14, 2007 – Cambridge - After my friend John and I ran at the Healthy Kids Fun Run at the Dorchester YMCA and Sandy Spring Elementary School in Cambridge, we went out to eat at a small seafood restaurant around downtown Cambridge. This was at the very beginning phases of my first endeavor to run in a running event in every Maryland County in 2007, and that was certainly my first Dorchester County race. I recall they had some nice food here (And I can’t quite remember what it is I had; I wanna say it was some seafood, if not pizza). I don’t think I had much of an appetite after that run, but John and I enjoyed it nonetheless.

- Friday, May 2, 2008 – Vienna – I stopped by this small waterside deli/restaurant in Vienna (I forget what it is called), and I think I had a sub or some kind of a sandwich, and I think I had a soda too. I was headed to Salisbury (Wicomico County) to see some friends and do a race in Crisfield (Somerset County) that weekend, which was why I was over there in the first place. It seemed like a small, more intimate dining place and I remember enjoying the food!

Frederick County

- Sunday, January 15, 2006 – West New Market – My friends, Danny and Brianna, got married this day at this beautiful bed and breakfast place, where we also had the reception. I liked the food there (even though I can’t remember much of what I ate). I remember a very joyful wedding with great dancing, music, and people J

Garrett County

- Jubilee Diner – Saturday, July 26, 2008 – Friendsville – After my first time at Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County, MD for this inaugural Adventure Games 10K Trail Run at the Wisp Ski Resort in Deep Creek, I decided to head over to Friendsville, MD around where my friend Phil lives. I knew Phil was working that day, so I decicded to settle in for eating some place by myself. I came by this small, rather dimly lit diner called the Jubilee Diner. I remember the service was great and fairly personable. I know I had a milkshake, and I think I had a burger and fries. I enjoyed the meal quite well as I recall J

Harford County

Howard County

- Timbuktu – Winter of 1997 – Columbia area – I was in seventh grade when I went here for a friend’s Bar Mitzvah reception. I remember eating here and enjoying the company and hte food quite well. I rpobably would have liked the experience a bit more, but my brother and this other guy named Brett were spinning this circular thing around and the next thing I kenw, all these sauces were every on the talbe, and a lot of the people at the table thought it was me. Fortunately none of us got in serious trouble. Looking back, I think it’s funny that that is my most salient memory of eating there.

- Best Hunan – King’s Contrivance Shopping Center, Columbia – Back in my junior year of high school (2000-2001), my friends Brian and Nate would invite me to go with them, and this became our typical hang-out spot. It’s pretty well-lit, comfortable, and intimate. I like the crab rangoons, fried ice-cream on a banana (which I’m not sure if they have), sweet-and-sour soup, beef lo-mein, and some of their platters just to name a few. I still eat here with my friends and it pretty much got me into Chinese food more. I think the last time I ate here was back in 2008, and I probably had beef lo-mein or something like that.

- Forest Diner – 2007/2008 (winter time) – Ellicott City – I ate here with my friend from Salisbury University, Mike one evening. It was pretty small and I think it is closing (or has closed down). The food was pretty nice, and if I know myself, I probably got some burgers, frieds, and a soda (and possibly something for desert). Like typical diners, I enjoyed the food and the atmosphere was relatively quiet with images and set-up to resemble times as far back as at least the 1950’s. I may have eaten here with a couple of buddies from high school back around the August of 2003, or it might have been the Double T Diner nearby in Ellicott City.

- Bagel Bin (Wilde Lake Village Center location) – Saturday, January 10, 2009 - Bagel Bins are one of Columbia, MD’s “best kept secrets” and I would therefore consider it a more “unique” restaurant as it only seems to be in Columbia. I’ve eaten at various Bagel Bin locations (mainly the one at the King’s Contrivance Shopping Center near where I grew up), and I’m a fan of their bagel melts (with melted cheese) and their smoothies (which may only be out in the summer or warmer weather, I’m not quite sure). My most recent time I ate there was after a Saturday morning Bagel Run with the Howard County Striders where we start and end our running routes by the Wilde Lake Village Center’s Bagel Bin, and it was on Saturday, January 10, 2009. I can’t quite remember what I had there that morning, and I was there catching up with someone I hadn’t seen since middle school who was also doing the run. I’m pretty sure I bought a sports drink (like Gatorade) while I was there. I really like Bagel Bin and I definitely came to appreciate it when I would come home on breaks from college at Salisbury University.

Kent County

- Harbor Shack – Sunday, April 22, 2007 – Rock Hall – This was my first visit to Rock Hall, MD and the afternoon I came to visit, I went for a little run around the town and then decided to eat at the Harbor Shack right by the water. It was fairly noisy indoors, but it was not bad and it was to be expected since there was a bar there. It was a fairly nice day out and I think I actually ate outside (I think I bought some nice french fries).

- Durding’s – I think I stop in here every time I’ve been to Rock Hall (and I think I’ve been about five times now). This is a very quaint shop right around the downtown area and it’s a gift sohp with little antiques, gifts, and they sell food (they have nice ice cream as I recall from experience J)

- Java Rock Café – Friday, July 4, 2008 – Rock Hall – I came to Rock Hall on the Fourth of July to run in the 27th Annual Rock Hall Flat Five, and that was a fun race. It ended right by Java Rock Café, and afterwards I went there and got some coffee and possibly a little food too. It’s a pretty small and quaint coffee shop, and I do believe they sell some souvenirs (such as Rock Hall, MD hats and shirts). I had been there before, and that is my most recent memory of being there.

Montgomery County

- Vegetable Garden – May/June, 1999 – I was a freshman in high school when I went with my mom to meet up with my grandma, a relative, and my relative’s friend to celebrate my relative’s graduation (I think it was from high school, if not college). I don’t remember where in Montgomery County this is located, but I’m pretty sure it is in Montgomery County and that the menu is pretty much all vegetable stuff. I was not much into that kinda food at the time, and I rememmber being fairly sleepy from not getting much sleep in preparing for 9th grade finals, but I thought the food was pretty decent considering I don’t normally eat a lot of what was on their menu. Looking back, I’m glad I had the experience and that I got to eat and celebrate with family J

- 2007/2008 – I went with my friends, Aaron and Brian, to this Chinese restaurant in this shopping center in Olney (I think there’s a Cheeburger Cheeburger and a Shopper’s Food Warehouse there now). The Chinese food was pretty good here, and I think we ate here during the winter time. I think I had some beef low-mein. I’ll venture to say that I think when I was in seventh grade, I went to this same place around the winter/early spring of 1997 to get some carry-out from this restaurant. It looks a bit small on the outside, but on the inside it seems a bit more spacious and I’d say it is a more upper class restaurant (then again, I have not had all that much experience with ritzy restaurants).

Prince George’s County

- Don Pablo’s – Summer of 1997 – Laurel area – I remember going here when some relatives from out-of-town were visiting, and I think it was a week day evening. I can’t quite remember what I got, but if I know me and if I knew me back then, it was probably a quesadilla, a taco, or something similar (and I probably had a root beer or some kinda soda to go with it). Great food as I recall, and then again, I usually like just about all Mexican food.

- Silver Diner – Sunday, August 31, 2008 – Laurel – I went with my friends Amy, Kseniya, and Walton to eat here after a fun afternoon and evening at the Six Flags around the Largo area of Prince George’s County. I did not have much of an appetite after all of those rides, and I wanted to take it easy on my stomach, ‘cause I knew I wanted to do the 5th Annual Labor Day 5K Rogue Race the next day in Eldersburg (Carroll County), MD. I think I just got some nice soup and a soda, and possibly more (maybe a desert too).

Queen Anne’s County

Saint Mary’s County

Somerset County

Talbot County

Washington County

- Gracie’s Place – Saturday, March 14, 2009 – I went to the Hagerstown, Maryland location on my way back from running the Run4Luck Four-Mile run in Lancaster County, PA and from visiting Centralia, PA. I ordered a chef sald and thought that I got a lot for about four bucks. It was a great deal, as well as a small, yet very friendly and personalble atmosphere with the help of the kind employees that were there. I may have gotten one or two things on the side, I can’t quite remember. I may go back again if I’m in town J)

Wicomico County

- Hunan Palace – March/April of 2005 – Fruitland – My friend Suzanne and I ate at Hunan Palace; this really nice Chinese restaurant just outside of Salisbury (Wicomico County). Going to school locally at Salisbury University and recently getting a car on campus, I felt like I could “stretch my legs” a bit and check out some of the places around town more. I’m glad we chose this. Even though my stomach was not feeling the best while I was there (which I don’t think had anything to do with the food), I thought it was a great restuarant. If I know me, I probably got some beef lo-mein or something similar.

- Lighthouse Diner II – Salisbury – I’ve been here many of times, and their prices are great for the breakfast, lunch, and dinner foods that they have. I like their hot chocolate, pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken soups, and quite a few of their other menu items to name a few. Usually when I go back to visit with friends in Salisbury, a visit here is in order. I wanna say that probably my most recent time here was around Saturday, December 13, 2008 (at least that was the last time I was in town). My friends and I noticed that it was called Lighthouse Diner II, and we sorta have a joke among us to keep our eyes out for the first Lighthouse Diner.

Worcester County


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been in search of such interesting Articles, I am on a holiday its good to see that everyone are trying their best to keep up the Spirit by having such great articles posted.

Cheers, Keep it up.


--------





___________________
christena
We do your Marketing for best sales