Saturday, April 4, 2009

I ran from Stillpond, Maryland to Betterton Beach, Maryland :)

Hi there everyone! This morning, I had the privilege to participate in a unique point-to-point race in northwestern Kent County, Maryland (where I have never done a race before): The 26th Annual Stillpond-to-Betterton Tree Run (which is about 3.6 miles). The weather was sunny, and somewhat warm, but very windy. The first mile on open country roads (which is what just about all of the course consisted of) had a lot of wind resistance, and then as the course shifted a slightly different direction, it seemed to die down a little bit (or else I just got used to it).

Stillpond looked like a really small and quaint town, like many of the ones on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I had never been there, nor to Betterton (where the race ended at Betterton Beach), at least not in my memory. I thought that running under 23 minutes would be a good goal, and going about around 6:10/6:15 the first mile would probably be a nice set up for it. I knew, though, with the wind it would be somewhat troublesome.

The race got off to a good start, and my buddy Steve and I started out in the front and I'm glad that Steve was there because he helped take my mind off the heavy wind and I was able to get through the first mile in about 6:13, about where I wanted even though I was starting to huff-and-puff around then. From that point on, there were no more mile markers, just a straight and slightly curving country road that we ran on from start to finish. At least there were a few steady and rolling hills to break up the monotony of it. Typically I don't run well on those open country roads for long periods of time, because I think it can get monotonous after a while, but like with many things recently, God helped me to maintain and not allow the wind, the reality that I have not been training as much or as intensely as I was before I took my break from exercising, nor much else slow me down.

I passed the sign for Betterton, Maryland in exactly 17 minutes and I knew that I must be in Betterton and that I only had to make it to the beach. Up ahead, there was a steady hill and I heard from a spectator that I was almost there. I remember hearing before the race, that there was a steady downhill right at the end at Betterton Beach, and I hoped that it would be coming up after this hill. As I got to the top of this hill, I was really starting to huff and pant with effort, and even though I knew I was probably not running under a 6-minute-per-mile pace, it felt like it because I was running against the wind. As I got up this last hill, I started praying out loud to God and Jesus to help me through, and to help me maintain this lead that I had. I knew that I was on the verge of having a great race, and possibly winning it, and I did not want anything to go wrong. I kept on praying out loud simple prayers like, "God help me" as I was breathing heavily.
The road flattened out after cresting the top of the hill, and soon after it went downhill. I tried to pick up the pace a bit, pretty much hyperventilating (or so it felt like) and still praying and thanking God for getting me through this. I glanced at my watch and it read 22-something (I think just under 22:20 or 22:30ish, and I had a feeling that I would be able to break 23 minutes) As I dashed down the hill, I noticed the small houses and buildings by the beach and the dark blue water ahead. And just at the bottom of the hill in front of the sand were a bunch of people with finish line ribbons and cones angling left, and so I thought I had to follow the road left, but instead the director said for me to go right and then I saw the finish line ribbon, and I ran through it thanking Jesus for helping with that run as I heard Sue, the race director, yell out "22:42" for my finishing time!
Whoohooo!! I broke 23 minutes, the goal time I was shooting for on this somewhat challenging and windy 3.6-mile course. I know I've run 3.6-mile splits before en route to longer distances that were faster than this, but I was certainly pleased with it! What was really terrific, though, was that this was the first time I have ever won a race in Kent County, Maryland and now I can say that I have won a race in all nine of Maryland's Eastern Shore Counties (Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne's, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico, and Worcester) in my lifetime so far, with God's help :) I was very happy about this, and it was great that my friends Susan, Steve, and some others that I knew were there to share in the victorious experience :) The top three males and females, as well as the oldest and youngest runners each won trees. I won a pretty hefty tree that I'm keeping over at my parents' place for the time being until I return from the Mission: Mississippi trip!

All right, I apologize if this appears to be rushed. I hope to have some statistics as well as photos up here sometime soon after the upcoming missions trip. Right now, I am getting sleepy, I gotta get up early, and more over, I am so pumped about the outcome of today's race and seeing some of you there :) Thank you all being there and praying for me. Please continue to pray for us on Mission: Mississippi! Thank you! I hope that you all have a great weekend, upcoming week, and a blessed Easter :)

Running Events I have Won on the Maryland Eastern Shore - God is Good!!!! :)

Caroline County

- Schaffner Printing’s 20th Annual Turkey Trot Two-Mile Fun Run – Saturday, November 19, 2005 – Denton Elementary School, Denton – Winner – 11:54

- 21st Annual Turkey Trot Two-Mile Fun Run – Saturday, November 18, 2006 – Denton Elementary School, Denton – Winner – 11:06 (best time on the course :)

- 2nd Annual Adkins Arboretum Arbor Day Fun Run (10K) – Saturday, April 21st, 2007 – Ridgley – Winner – 37:59 PR (Personal Record/best time in that distance!!!!! :)

- 23rd Annual Turkey Trot Two-Mile Fun Run – Saturday, November 22, 2008 – Denton Elementary School, Denton – Winner (also awarded for winning 20-29 male age group division)– 11:29



Cecil County

- Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area (N.M.R.A.) Fools Frolic 22K (I ran the much shorter 5-6 mile route) – Sunday, April 1, 2007 – Fair Hill/Elkton – First person in, but it was not much of a race, just pretty much me and another gentleman chillin’ and chattin’ our way through – 1 hour, 21 minutes, 55 seconds

- Inaugural Run for Reading 4K – Saturday, May 10, 2008 – Bayview Elementary School, North East – Winner – 13:13 (accidentally cut the course a bit short) As of this race, Daniel Williams ran a race in every Maryland County along the Mason-Dixon Line :)


- St. Roch’s Trail Run 7K – Saturday, July 19, 2008 – Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area (N.R.M.A.), Fair Hill/Elkton – Winner – 51:36 (this was after running a little past the actual finish area :)



Dorchester County

- Dorchester Family YMCA Healthy Kid’s Day Fun Run (1.9 miles, mainly flat cross country) – Saturday, April 14, 2007 - Cambridge – 1st overall – 10:54 (ran negative splits too J)

- North Dorchester High School Eagle Athletics Boosters 5th Annual Eagle 5K Run – Saturday, October 4, 2008 – Hurlock – Winner – 18:49 (as of this race, I ran in a running event in every county of Maryland within 2008; God is Awesome :)



Kent County


26th Annual Stillpond-to-Betterton Tree Run - Saturday, April 4, 2009 – Started in Stillpond and ended at Betterton Beach (Kent County), MD – Winner – 22:42 (as of this race, I can say that I have won a race in all nine counties of Maryland’s Eastern Shore within my lifetime; praise God! :)


Queen Anne’s County

- First annual Run for the Sun/Son 2-Mile Run – Saturday, September 23, 2006 – Old Love Point Park, Cross Island Trail, Stevensville – Winner – 13:49 (first mile in 8:58ish, last mile in about 4:51, my best mile time off of a track :)

- Shore Christian Fellowship Church’s inaugural Race to Impact (10K) – Saturday, March 24th, 2007 – Chester/Kent Narrows/Kent Island (it was all on the shaded Cross Island Trail) – Winner – 38:51

-

- 5th Annual Jingle Bell 5K Run – Saturday, December 8, 2007 – Kent Narrows – Winner – 16:29ish (definitely shorter than 5K)

- A Day at the Races – Saturday, March 29, 2008 – Queen Anne’s County High School, Centreville:

- 5K (on the high school cross country course) – Winner – 18:59 (probably a little shorter than a 5K, somewhere between 3 and 3.1 miles)

-



- Kennard Alumini Association 5K Walk/Run & Family Day (new course this year) - Saturday, June 14, 2008 – Kennard Elementary School, Centreville – Winner – 19:20



Somerset County

-


- 1st annual McCready Health Services Foundation’s Founder’s Day 8K Run & 2-mile walk – Saturday, May 6, 2006 – Crisfield – Winner(8K) – 27:31 (it was measured out to be approximately 4.2 miles :).

- 59th Annual National Hard Crab Derby, 27th Annual Mike Sterling 10K (improvised 5K course out-and-back on Route 413 because some parts of the 10K were flooded) – Saturday, September 2, 2006 – Crisfield – 1st finisher – 29:06

- 2nd annual McCready Health Services Foundation’s Founder’s Day 8K Run & 2-mile walk – Saturday, May 5, 2007 (El Cinco de Mayo) – Crisfield – Winner(8K) – 31:58 (ran faster there this year than last year :)

-

Talbot County

- Oxford Day 10K – Saturday, April 28, 2007 – Oxford – 1st overall – 38:35 (big improvement over last year’s 42:04 here, and a well-paced race on a relatively short amount of sleep :)

- Talbot Kids Fun Run (advertised as three miles, but most likely much less) – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – North Easton Sportsplex (on the Rails-to-Trails), Easton – Winner – I probably ran low-to-mid 14’s based on the times of other runners (the event was not timed and I did not have my watch running during this event)

- 7th Annual Fall into St. Michaels 5K Run/Walk – Saturday, October 25, 2008 – St. Michaels Elementary School, St. Michaels – Winner – 18:54 (I accidentally made a wrong turn towards the end of the race, but this is the race where I finished out my half-year endeavor; praise God! :)



Wicomico County

-


-


- Salisbury University Spring Olympics Ten 5K Run event (or it may have been 3 miles) – Saturday, mid-April, 2004 – Salisbury University campus (“Turkey Trot” course), Salisbury – Winner – 17:51 (best time on the course :)


-

- 3rd Annual Jerry Daniel Landsman (J.D.L.) 5K Run – Saturday, last weekend in April, 2005 – Salisbury University campus (almost similar to the “Turkey Trot” course, except you do not go around the Devilbiss Hall, but I did that anyway without knowing the course was in fact shorter, and a lot shorter than a 5K, I’m sure), Salisbury – 2nd overall (because I went longer), but I was awarded as the winner anyway ‘cause I led by a lot the whole time – 18:14ish


-

- Funny Bunny 5K Run – Saturday, April 1, 2006 – Salisbury – winner – 18:45 (not bad considering I ran an “in’s-and-out’s” workout at the track for track practice the previous afternoon :)

-


- Salisbury University Spring Olympics Twelve 3-mile/5K Run – Saturday, April 28, 2006 – Salisbury University campus (“Turkey Trot” course) – Winner – 18:22 :)

- Hunter’s Mill neighborhood Family Fun Run (5K) – Saturday, May 20, 2006 – Hunter’s Mill neighborhood, Salisbury – Winner – 18:52 (my watch), 18:51 (clock) This was my last race before graduating from Salisbury University :)

Worcester County

- Francis Scott Key Family Resort “Dash and Splash” Run/Walk Series 5K Race#3 at Stephen Decatur High School (on the track) – Saturday, June 30, 2007 – Berlin – Winner/only finisher – 18:52 (clock), 18:50 (watch) – Finished out the Maryland Eastern Shore portion of my 2007 endeavor with this event :)


- 8th Annual Pink Ribbon Classic 5K – Saturday, October 18, 2008 – Ocean City – Winner – 18:36

- Lower Shore Delmarva Family YMCA Inaugural “Jingle all the Way” 5K Run/Walk (it was actually measured out to be around 3.2 miles; a little bit more than a 5-kilometer distance) – Saturday, December 13, 2008 – Pocomoke City – Winner – 20:29




No comments: