Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hopin' to get to the Arbor Day Fun Run 5K this Saturday!


Image of Adkins Arboretum building taken on Saturday, April 28, 2007


This Saturday, April 18, 2009, I hope to do my first race in two weeks at the Fourth Annual Adkins Arboretum Arbor Day Fun Run 5K in Ridgely (Caroline County), Maryland right around the Tuckahoe State Park and Forest area. This is pretty much a cross-country/trail race. I ran this race back on Saturday, April 21, 2007 when they had a 10K option as well as the 5K option, and I am grateful I opted for the 10K because I ran 37:59, which is still my best time for that 6.2-mile distance to this day. I remember I hit about 18:26 for the first 5K loop half-way through the race, and I know it seems like a longshot with the shape I feel like I'm in right now, but I would like to break 18:26, God-willing. I was still feeling under the weather today (even though I went to work and then did a rather brief running workout, from which I definitely felt worn out). Still, I think trying to run under 18:26, I'm sure I'll put enough effort in to run a time I can go home happy with. I hope I'm healthy enough to make it to and through the race. I heard they changed the course a bit last year too, so it'll be neat to see that. I think I'll end up being happy just to make it to and through the race, at that. God always has a way of working through my weaknesses, regardless of how I feel or what I think (as evidenced by my recent disaster relief efforts missions trip in southern Mississippi). As a matter of fact, it was not very long ago that I ran the 4th Annual Marriotts Ridge High School Mustang Stampede in 18:24 after running a 5K the previous day and feeling tired from that, and after not having run under a 6-minute mile for a while (and 18:24 for the approximate 3.1-mile distance of 5 kilometers means that I averaged about 5:55/5:56-per-mile :) God is awesome, and he helped me to run that way for my level of fitness at the time.
All right, thank you all for stopping by and reading. I hope you all have a great weekend :)


2 comments:

Kay said...

Noah, your a fantastic boyfriend! I have enjoyed going to races of yours; but, more importantly these last 101 days with you as my boyfriend have been wonderful!

Noah Wood - A Maryland Runner said...

Aw, thank you for being a super supportive and caring girlfriend, Kay :) I could not ask God for anyone better to fill that position in my life than you! Thank you for "Running for the Son" with me :)