Friday, November 30, 2007

Yesterday's 5.5-mile track run!


In this photo, I'm finishing up strong at the 30th Annual Metric Marathon, Sunday, December 3, 2006 :)


After work yesterday (Friday, November 30, 2007), I went to Hammond High School's track for a nice and easy 5.5-mile (22 laps around the track) run. I started out a lot slower than many of my other recent training runs, but I felt all right and there were quite a few negative splits here as well. Here are a lot of my splits-per-lap on this run:



1/4-mile - 1:58

1/2-mile - 3:54

3/4-mile - 5:50

1-mile - 7:43

1.5 miles - 11:15ish

2 miles - 14:39

2.5 miles - 18:14

2.75 miles - 20:00

3 miles - 21:44

3.5 miles - 25:10

4 miles - 28:43

4.25 miles - 30:32

4.5 miles - 32:21

4.75 miles - 34:09

5 miles - 35:56

5.5 miles - 39:25

This is has been my longest track-based training run since I started to get back into shape. It went pretty nicely, I think at this point I feel like I can do more of my runs now off of the track, as my body is becoming much more accustomed again to a softer surface of a running track, so as to easy my body back into the motion of running. I am looking forward to that. Usually, I'm not the kind of guy who prefers to run a lot of laps anyway, but I thin it's for my own good. One really nice thing about it is that I can get a lotta splits and analyze my running/pacing too.

The next time I plan to run is actually in a 5K race around here in Columbia (Howard County), Maryland. This is the 5K that goes along with the famous Columbia Metric Marathon that starts and ends by the Columbia Lakefront near Lake Kittamaqundi in downtown Columbia. In the fall of 2000 while I was an eleventh grader at Hammond High School, I ran the 5K and finished in 20:15. Last fall (Sunday, December 3, 2006), I ran the Metric Marathon (26.2 kilometers, which is about 16.3 miles) and that was a really great experience. A lot of my splits for the latter miles I'm pretty sure ended up being PR's and as a result, I had one of the better races in my life so far! This year I wanna get back to the Metric Marathon event, and I thought a slightly cheaper way would be to run in the 5K, which would be more appropriate to my current level of fitness. The course is really not that hard. Before I started college at Salisbury University and started running on the Maryland Eastern Shore, I thought that this course was one of the easiser 5K courses I had run on. From what I recall there are a couple of rolling hills towards the beginning and one fairly challenging uphill towards the end, but it's nothing too intimidating. The downhills are nice and gradual, as I remember them to be. Quite a bit of that course seems to occur on bike paths. In fact, I found Tom's 6th Annual 5K Reindeer Run last Saturday in Prince George's County, Maryland to be a little more challenging than this one, and if I could run a 20:08 on a slightly challenging on that course in the shape that I'm in (not to mention I had run a 5K the day before that one too), then I think if I'm feelin' all right tomorrow, I might just be able to beat 20:15 on the Metric Marathon 5K course tomorrow morning.

If anyone is interested in this Metric Marathon event tomorrow, Sunday, December 2, 2007, then please check out the Howard County Striders' website at: http://www.Striders.net Go to the "Metric Marathon" link in the schedule there.

I am sorry I am communicating this to you all at the last minute, I guess I did not get around to it earlier. I don't think many of you would do a metrical marathon distance on the fly, but maybe a 5K. I'm just puttin' that out there in case any of you are interested.

Thank you all for reading, I hope you all are enjoying this weekend!

No comments: