Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey Trot 10K Prediction Run

















Hey there everyone. I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. I did, it was pretty chill. The meal was nice, I was glad I got to have it with my brother, grandma and parents. I definitely took advantage of all the food (partially because I had not really eaten much after my run earlier that morning, whihc I will get into very soon). After eating, we watched the movie "Cars" on TV and it was awesome (it was on a Starz On Demand channel, we have a free one-year digital cable trial, pretty neat stuff).
Earlier that morning I made it ot the Turkey Trot 10K Prediction Run that the Howard County Striders put on at the Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Center in Columbia (Howard County), Maryland. I did all right, I ran slower than I predicted (and usually at this one I run a little faster than predicted), but that's okay because I was within forty seconds of 11:00 A.M., the time at exactly which runners would try to finish the 10K course at without the aid of a watch or some similar timing device. This was my tenthy year-in-a-row of running in it and I really enjoy it. I chose to try and get it done in 46 minutes, so I left at 10:14 A.M. (well actually it was a couple of seconds after that, so I was actually trying to get it done in 45:58. For a good portion of it, my right knee was cramping up (and that area of my body has hurt in the past), but towards the end, like within the last couple of miles I felt better and picked it up a little bit. I finished at 11:00:39.37 thereabouts, making my 10K time about 46:37. Not too bad considering I have been back at running less than a week and this has been my longest and probably most hilly run so far during this phase. I was glad this year to be closer to the time, whereas last year I was over a minute off (although I ran the 10K course a little ways under 41 minutes, my fastest time on the course to date)! It was a nice experience. Since it was so nice out yesterday, I record number of well over two-hundred participants came out and I was the 173rd finisher and I'd say from looking at the results, I was probably the 60th closest to the winning time. I know the guy who won the prediction run from a lot of the Howard County Striders events, and I was really happy for him, he has really improved in his running and it's a great testimony to see him win something that was not based so much on strong running ability, but good judgment in pacing as well!

All right, I'll get more later on here about the Maryland Eastern Shore 5K I ran this morning (Friday, November, 2007). I hope you all have a great day!

No comments: