Sunday, January 27, 2008

Terrific indoor track & field meet in Prince George's County, Maryland
































Hey guys, great news! I got to make it to the Prince George's Sports and Learning Complex in Landover (Prince George's County), Maryland for the indoor track & field showcase all-comers meet last Sunday, January 27. The facility has one of the top-ranked indoor tracks in the United States of America, and each lap is two-hundred meters. It's pretty neat, I ran there for indoor track & field meets during my junior and senior years of High School when I ran for Hammond High School in Howard County, Maryland.


I ran the 1,600 and 3,200 meter races, and I'm glad I decided on running in the 800 meter race as well (and I thought that one was probably my strongest race of the meet, a pleasant surprise considering I was still feelin' a bit beat from the 1,600 and I feel like my leg speed is not as strong as it was back in high school and college yet). I spent a good portion of the day at this meet, but it was well worth it and I still got to make it to part of an evening church service as well! I saw some of my buddies I've seen at various races and track & field meets throughout Maryland, and it was great to run and talk with them.

In the 1,600 meter I wanted to break 5:10, the 800 I wanted low 2:20's, and in the 3,200 I wanted to get on the lower end of 11 minutes (or under 11). I met two of the three of those goals, and I am very happy that God blessed me with the strength, endurance, energy and whatever else was needed for me to run strong, and that there was an adequate rest period in between the events since there were many people running it.

Here are the splits that I recall from each event that I ran:

1,600 meter run

Lap 1 - :36
Lap 2 - 1:12
Lap3 - 1:49
Lap 4 -2:28
Lap 5 - 3:06
Lap 6 - 3:45
Lap 7 - 4:26
Lap 8 - 5:04

800 meter run

Lap 1 - :33ish
Lap 2- 1:08
Lap 4 - 2:15ish

3,200 meter run

Lap 1 - :41
Lap 2 - 1:22ish
(left shoe came untied around here and remained so through the rest of the race, but fortunately I don't think it slowed me much)!

Lap 3 - 2:02
Lap 4 - 2:45
Lap 7 - 4:55ish
Lap 8 - 5:37
Lap 12 - 8:29
Lap 15 (3,000 meters) - 10:43
Lap 16 - 11:24 - Indoor track PR for that distance (my old one was 11:25 back in 2001 when I ran the 3,200 at the same venue, the P.G. Complex :)

I was pretty happy with how these races turned out. For the 3,200, that's an indoor track personal best time by one second. My best two-mile time is about 10:36 from a flat cross-country timed-trial for Salisbury University's cross country team in Wicomico County, Maryland back in 2003, so I'm grateful that I'm within a minute of that time. Considering I ran with an untied shoe, I was pretty happy with how I held up in that race. The heat was crowded. There were runners ahead of me who were running the 3,000 meter (15 laps), and I chose to run 16 laps for the 3,200 meter race because it is closer to two miles and I figured I'd might as well run a bit longer. It was cool. There were some younger kids in the race, and I overlapped some of them, and unfortunately towards the end when I started to try and pick it up I brushed/bumped into them by accident and I hoped they heard me mutter I'm sorry as I worked hard in that last portion of the race. I didn't hurt them or knock them over, but I felt kinda bad about it. I'm glad everyone finished and seemed to have a nice race.

Tonight, I started out on my Wednesday evening Introduction to Reading course at Howard Community College in Howard County, Maryland, and it seems all right so far. I met some nice people there and it seems a lot more spread out than the rather accelerated four-week Human Development winter course I recently completed. Tomorrow I start in on the Introduction to Special Education class at Howard Community College, which will be on Thursday evenings. We'll see how that goes.

Well thank you all for reading about the meet and my new classes! Take it easy :)



Running Events I have done this year as of Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Maryland

Allegany County

Anne Arundel County

Baltimore City

Baltimore County

- Baltimore Road Runners Club (BRRC) Grand Prix Series Eight-Mile Run – Sunday, January 13, 2008 – Loch Raven Reservoir – 11th overall – 53:34

Calvert County

- First Annual Southern Maryland Community Network Resolution 5K Run/Walk – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – Prince Frederick – 4th overall (20-29 age group winner) – 18:47

Caroline County

Carroll County

- Winfield Mile – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – South Carroll High School, Winfield – 6th overall (2nd in 20-29 age group) – 5:11 (clock), 5:10 (watch)

Cecil County

Charles County

Dorchester County

Frederick County

Garrett County

Harford County


Howard County

- Howard County Striders (H.C.S.) Weekly Series (“Operation Iceberg”) #1: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-mile run – Sunday, January 6, 2008 – Columbia/Ellicott City area – 7th overall – 32:18

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #3: Atholton High School 5K Run – Sunday, January 20, 2008 – Columbia – 6th overall – 18:38

Kent County

Montgomery County

Prince George’s (P.G.) County

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, January 27, 2008 – Landover:

- 1,500 meter race - - 5:04

- 800 meter race – 2nd overall – 2:15/2:16ish

- 3,200 meter race – winner – 11:24 (best indoor track time for that distance by one second :)

Queen Anne’s County

Saint Mary’s County

Somerset County

Talbot County

Washington County

Wicomico County

Worcester County

Events outside of Maryland

No comments: