Friday, January 11, 2008

Busy week, first 8-mile race on deck!



Hey there, I know I have not written this week. I've been really busy between my job at the Homewood Center and the human development course I'm taking for a teaching certificate at Howard Community College on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights! It's a lotta work, since it's about 14 weeks worth of material packed into less than four weeks. Fortunately, the Good Lord is helping with time management and I feel like I'm doin' all right so far int he class. I have not gotten much work handed back yet, but I feel like I'm doin' all right. My classmates and the professor seem pretty cool!

On the running front, I've been blessed with some solid running this week. I did some nice 1/4 mile intervals yesterday after work, and in toal, I've porbably hit the upper 20's for weekly mileage. Not too bad! Earlier this week I ran a five-mile race that started and ended at Burleigh Manor Middle School in Howard County, Maryland. It was put on by the Howard County Striders (http://www.striders.net) and it was the first of their "Operation Iceberg" Winter Series races. I ran faster than I expected on the hilly course, a nice 32:18! Very good considering my sleep every night since the start of 2008 has not been much to write home about, but it's all right. I went through the first mile (which was expected to be fast since a lot of it is downhill) in about 5:44, the 2.5-mile turnaround on the out-and-back course in 15:54ish, and four miles in 25:54ish. The photo above is me approaching the water stop area of the turnaround. I finished seventh overall and I felt pretty solid during the race.

My next run I plan to do is an eight mile race in Baltimore County, Maryland. It's the GPS Eight Mile Run over by the Loch Raven Reservoir (I think the event meets at 9 A.M. at Peerce's Plantation) I've never run an eight mile race before, so it should be interesting. I have no idea what the course is like or how challenging it is, but I hope to maybe run under a seven-minute-per-mile pace for the distance (which should be under 56 minutes). We'll see how it goes. I hope to have fun either way! Check out the Baltimore Road Runner's Club (http://www.brrc.com) if you are interested in finding out more about this event.


Thank you all for stopping by and reading. Please have a good night and weekend :)


Running Events I have done this year as of Saturday, January 12, 2008


Maryland

Allegany County

Anne Arundel County

Baltimore City

Baltimore County

Calvert County

- First Annual Southern Maryland Community Network Resolution 5K Run/Walk – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – Prince Frederick – 4th overall (1st in 20-29 age group) – 18:47

Caroline County

Carroll County

- Winfield Mile – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – South Carroll High School, Winfield – 6th overall (2nd in 20-29 age group) – 5:11 (clock), 5:10 (watch)

Cecil County

Charles County

Dorchester County

Frederick County

Garrett County

Harford County


Howard County

- Howard County Striders (H.C.S.) Weekly Series (“Operation Iceberg”) #1: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-mile run – Sunday, January 6, 2008 – Columbia/Ellicott City area – 7th overall – 32:18

Kent County

Montgomery County

Prince George’s (P.G.) County

Queen Anne’s County

Saint Mary’s County

Somerset County

Talbot County

Washington County

Wicomico County

Worcester County

Events outside of Maryland

No comments: