Monday, October 6, 2008

Dorchester County, Maryland - The only Maryland county I had to run a race in this year....

... And I'm glad I had God's blessing and I made the effort to do so!


Well, last time I posted, I believe I mentioned that my next race was hopefully going to be the North Dorchester High School (N.D.H.S.) Athletics Boosters 5th Annual Eagle 5K Run in Hurlock (Dorchester County), MD. This was part of the Hurlock Fall Festival and it was to benefit North Dorchester High School's athletics program. That school is also where my friend John (who ran this race with me and who has run it twice in the past couple of years and has been telling me about it). I was getting excited about it, because Dorchester County was the only county in Maryland where I had not run a race in yet this year. I was also hoping that I could break 19 minutes, because the fastest 5K (approximately 3.1-mile distance) I have run since I sprained my ankle about a month ago and had to cut back on my running, was 19:01 the previous weekend at the 13th Annual North Beach 5K Run in North Beach (Calvert County), MD, where I was blessed to have finished out my quest last year to run in a running event in every county of Maryland! I knew after that that I was capable of running under 19 minutes, especially since I probably had lost two or three seconds towards the end of the North Beach 5K when I accidentally made a wrong turn very briefly. So, I was hoping to run under 19 minutes at this next 5K run.

However, I'd say it was around Wednesday afternoon or evening, I started to feel a bit sick to my stomach, and I felt that way more so off-and-on throughout Thursday, and into Friday. I was blessed that I still felt well enough to go ot work and that God helped me through the work day. I dunno if it was something I ate; fortunately I wasn't throwing up or having diarrhea; I just felt pretty sick and weakened, and of course I did not eat as much as I would have liked (which started to give me dimmed hopes for my next upcoming race). It was a combination of that and not wanting t run too much on my almost-fully-recovered left ankle, that led me to not run on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Any working out I did on those days were pretty much, push-ups, pull-ups and/or sit-ups. In addition, the last couple of nights before Friday (when I drove to the Maryland Eastern Shore for the race), I hadn't slept as much as I wanted to because I was finishing a take-home exam for class and I went out to watch "Tropic Thunder" with my friend on his birthday. I'm glad I was able to get the work done and spend time with my friend on his birthday! And no matter how tired and sick-to-my stomach I felt, I still wanted to do this race; mainly because it was a terrific opportunity to get a Dorchester County running event in, and I don't know for certain if there are any more running events open to the public going on this year in Dorchester County. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some crop up in that county before 2008 is out, but I didn't want to risk it, especially since the beginning of November is coming, and that's when I hope to have run in a running event in every county of Maryland within a half-a-year's time period (and at this point I still had Dorchester County, Talbot County, and Worcester County remaining). Plus, it would be great to see my friend John, do this race that I told him I might like to try out sometime, and to help support the school that he works at.

So Friday after I get off work, I stop by my folks' place to visit and then head off towards the Maryland Eastern Shore. My stomach ache comes back and I start to feel pretty sick as I'm getting around the Annapolis (Anne Arundel County) area of Maryland, but when I started to sing along to the Christian inspirational/worship music on the radio, I started to feel better, and I did not feel that cruddy for the rest of the day. I met up with John later that evening after being stuck in traffic on the Maryland Eastern Shore (and no it wasn't on the Bay Bridge like some would probably expect, but a good ways after it). We met up at Friday Night Fire, a young adult ministry I used to attend quite a bit at St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Hebron (Wicomico County), MD, when I was a student at Salisbury University, which was fairly close to the church. Almost every time since I've graduated and I've come back to visit on Friday, I usually try to go to Friday Night Fire ("F.N.F." as it's commonly referred too). That was a great time; John and I stayed up a bit later than we expected since we were going to get up early for the 9 A.M. race in Hurlock.

Waking up on Saturday, I felt pretty tired from not sleeping as much (or probably eating as much) recently, but I still wanted to go to the race and I was faithful that God would help me run well there; even if I did not break 19 minutes like I was originally hoping for. At least my stomach wasn't bothering me; at least not that I noticed.
We drove over to Hurlock Elementary School right near the pretty and rather quaint downtown area of Hurlock. The small town seems to be located in the middle of some farmlands, and not very far at all from the Caroline and Dorchester County lines. The race started and ended at Hurlock Elementary School on a flat course that went through the suburban areas and even through a bit of the alleys of the Hurlock Fall Festival.
After we got there, we got our registration stuff and race numbers handled, warmed up, and stretched. As the race was about to start, we noticed that there were probably around 20 participants and I had a feeling that John and I would probably at least be able to earn age-group awards in the 20-29 age-group division. I figured probably one of the best things to do was to build into it and see what would happen, so as not to re-aggravate a HOPEFULLY recovering stomach issue and reinjure an injury that I'm sure was almost better if not completely so.

We lined up near the front of the school and the race started. We ran through the parking lot and made a right on this road towards a small neighborhood. It was around this point that John and I moved to the front of the pack and took the lead. After making a couple of left turns through the small neighborhood, we ran down this street with the passers-by and some of the locals cheering us on. During this rather lengthy stretch of road, I hit the one-mile mark in about 5:33, which I was sort of surprised to have hit, but I knew I had started out harder than I expected. I do believe that this is probably my fastest mile that I've run since I cut back on my running about a month ago after spraining my ankle at the Police Pace 5K in Howard County, MD.

The course continued for a little while longer on that straight road before making a right through this water side neighborhood. From there, there were about two or three turns through the neighborhood, and then I was on this straight road heading for mile two, which I passed through in 11:48 (I thought I was hanging in there pretty good and that I might have a legitimate shot at breaking 19 minutes). Not long after this poitn in the race, I began to feel tired as the course turned left into another neighborhood. I kept pressing on straight and up ahead I could see another big road, and I could see the pace bike up ahead making a left on it. I knew from warming up around this area, that this road would probably take us back towards the downtown area where the festival was, which would be right near Dorchester Elementary School; the finish for the race.

With that in mind, I held on, knowing that soon we would be done. Sure enough, after makikng a left on the road, the road took us towards the railroad tracks and right by the tends and exhibits of the festival. I'm sure there were people cheering as us runners went by, but I did not really notice (there didn't seem to be many people out yet, but that was fine because the crowds and runners may have gotten in the way of each other). Soon after we ran right by the front of the Hurlock Elementary School, but I knew from looking at the course map not to make a right into the parking lot, but to follow the road further down and then loop around towards the back of the school. Though at that point, my body was definitely wanting to just make a right turn and finish exactly where we started near the front of the school.
God helped me stay focused and strong as I went past the school, and up ahead I saw the pace biker make a right turn onto another road, and I figured that I must at least be coming close to the end. However, when I turned onto the this road, I didn't see any sign of a finish line in sight; yet I still saw the pace biker up ahead going forward. Wait. What was that further down the road. It looks like a mile marker, and sure enough as I neared it I saw it was mile marker three as I passed by it in 18:11. Terrific, if I just kept up the pace, I would surely break 19 minutes! Though, at first, I didn't see the finish line, but then several seconds after passing the three-mile maker, I saw the pace biker point to the right on the fields behind Hurlock Elementary School. Then, I saw the finishing chute.
With that, I mustered the remaining energy I had left, bolted down the small grassy hill as best I could, across the field, and into the finishing chute to finish in my best 5K time yet since I backed off of running for almost a month, 18:49!!! WHOOHOO! That was just a second slower than 2007's 18:48 that I ran at the more challenging North Beach 5K when I finished out running a race in every Maryland county in 2007 (of course I had been running a little more consistently then too). Now I had run a race in every county of Maryland in 2008, and finished this race in Dorchester County with a time that I didn't think I'd have much of a chance of running given the recent circumstances. Yet, God never let me down and He was incredibly good to me to bless me with the grace to keep up a solid pace for myself and finish the race!

It was nice to hang out after the race too (even though my stomach was feeling pretty queasy afterwards for a couple of hours). It was nice to watch John finish in just under 22 minutes; the first time he's done so for a 5K in a while. He also won the 20-29 age-group division too! After the awards ceremony, we walked around the Hurlock Fall Festival, and that was neat to see all of the stands, try some of the foods, meet some of the peoples (many of whom John seemed to know since he used to live and still works around that area). We also saw a mime/dance show that these children from this church put on , and a lot of it seemed Gospel and Bible-based, so I thought that was pretty solid. Toward s the end our time at the festival my stomach started to feel better and we headed towards Salisbury, where are our next race we had planned for the day was.

Back in 2005 when I was a senior at Salisbury University, I had taken a couple of months off of running because of overuse injuries (and this included sitting out the cross country season as well). During that time I had volunteered for a couple of public running races, and one of them was the Vernon Powell Shoes the Athlete Challenge 5K in the woods and roads behind the Vernon Powell shoe store in Salisbury (Wicomico County), MD. From wher I stood on this dirt trail near the end and the beginning of the race course, it looked as if a good portion of it was in the woods and I thought that maybe some time in the future I would come back and run this race.
Saturday, October 4, 2008 was a great opportunity. The race was free (and I couldn't believe the premiums; a free water bottle as well as a dry-fit long-sleeve shirt), so John and I wanted to do this race (which started at 4 P.M.) later in the day after the Hurlock Fall Festival. I couldn't believe I was going to do it, after not feeling that well for a large portion of the week and coming back from the sprained ankle, but I wanted to run it and the Eagle 5K earlier that morning was a solid confidence-booster. John couldn't believe he was going to run two 5K's in one day, he was like, "Noah, what have you gotten me into??"
I think I asked the same question myself.
We got to the race and it was much more crowded than the one earlier. I knew that if we wanted a good position before entering the well-paved wooded trails, we probably had a little less than a quarter-of-a-mile between the start and the woods to get into a position before the trail narrowed.
The race started on the fields behind the shoe store and we ran through the parking lot around it before coming back onto the grass. Once we got onto the grassy area, the sandy trail going into the woods came up and that's when I started to move up and pass other runners. That's when I stumbled on the dirt/sand path and almost went down. Fortunately I was able to regain balance without taking a big face-plant, but I felt like I had tweaked a muscle in my right knee (which has been a fairly delicate area of my body as far as running is concerned as I've been known to cramp/tighten up there in the past. Still, it didn't hurt that much, and I was still able to run through the race all right. After a little bit of running on the narrow trails, we emerged onto some suburban neighborhood streets and I went through the first mile in about 5:54 (surprising, because I thought I had a fairly slow start ont he trails plus I still felt a bit tired from the race earlier that morning). This motivated me to press on through the neighborhood. Towards the end of this long street, I passed by the two-mile mark in about 12:08, only 20 seconds shy of the 11:48 I ran as a two-mile split at the 5K earlier that day. Needless to say I felt encouraged and saw it as quite possible that I could still finish this race in well under 20 minutes, and quite possibly maybe even under 19 minutes again.
Shortly after the two-mile mark, the course wound to the left back into the woods and trails. Around here I started to feel a little worn down to say the least, but I knew I had less than a mile to go (granted I did not get lost and go longer than intended). After making a right into the woods, I ran on this sandy area around this mound of dirt/sand, and then I made a right by this course marshal and followed the trail out of the woods and into the streets of this housing development down the road from the VP Shoes building. At this point, my right knee was feeling a bit tender, probably from tweaking it at the beginning of the race. Not too far up ahead, I saw a couple of runners ahead of me make a left turn onto this road.
I knew I was almost done.
After running down the long road, I made a left turn and at the end of this road I saw the left turn into the VP Shoes parking lot where the finish line was, up ahead. I began to pick it up, knowing that the runners behind me were probably not that far behind. I went through three miles in about 18:36, and right after I really picked up the pace, made a left into the parking lot and dashed through the finish line in a time of 19:08, only 19 seconds slower than the 5K I had run earlier that day, and I did not even think my chances were that great of me breaking 20 minutes.
Wow! God is so amazing.
He helped John and I finish out two 5K races within the same day. And I was pretty consistent with my finishing times; both of which were under 20 minutes and about 19 seconds apart. I thought this was terrific for feeling sick-to-my stomach for a few days going into these races, not having run a lot coming off of an injury, and not getting that much sleep in the past few days. I was pretty darn happy about it to say the least. Both of these times were faster than the 19:15 I ran at the Remembrances 5K Run, a relatively flat course that John and I ran on on Saturday, September 20, 2008 a couple of weeks before in Federalsburg (Caroline County) on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I was certainly happy with that and so was John.
At the Athlete Challenge 5K, I also met a famous boxer (who won the 20-29 year-age group division John and I ran in) named Fernando Guerrero, who is a local to the Salisbury area. Up until going to the race, I had no idea who he was, but he was certainly in excellent shape. I think he ran about 18:05; that's what he said when I met him. He seemed nice, and he signed my race bib and also signed it again for my friend, Andy, whose getting into boxing. The night before, Fernando Guerrero was in a televised boxing match where he went about eight rounds, and he was victorious.. I thought that was quite inspiriing that he came out and ran a terrific 5K on a course that had terrain that wasn't the most conducive to running a strong performance time!

Afterwards, John and I were tired, but we were amped too. Later that night we met up with some friends at the food court in the local mall in Salisbury, and afterwards, several of us went to see this new movie that came out called "Fireproof"! I hadn't really heard of what that movie was about until I came to visit John. I really enjoyed it and would recommend this drama movie (with some humorous parts in it) to anyone. The plot starts out fairly simple; it's about a challenged marriage and the people in it are about to get a divorce, but they are influenced to turn to God with their troubles and as a result, God helps them through these harsh and challenging times with themselves, each other, their families, and their marriage. It was a pretty touching movie, and I thought hat the acting was great too (and Kirk Cameron was one of the famous actors in it). If I go out to the movies, I tend to lean more towards action or comedies, but this is one drama movie I have no trouble calling a good movie. For those interested, it's rated P.G.

After that John and I headed back to his place and we crashed. On Sunday, we went to church and hung out with some of his friends from church, and then I drove back. I was definitely pleased with the weekend: Nice church services, great company, and I had run a race in every county of Maryland this year, and in finishing it out in Dorchester County with the Eagle 5K, I had run a pretty nice race for myself considering I felt I was at somewhat of a disadvantage health-wise. I'm grateful that God did not allow that to be the case!

Now, I'm still trying to run in a running event in every county of Maryland within a half-a-year time period, and I started this on Saturday, May 3, 2008and I still have to do running events in Talbot and Worcester Counties (both of which are on Maryland's Eastern Shore) before Monday, November 3, 2008. Fortunately, the Good Lord has helped me find out about some upcoming running events in those counties coming up through word-of-mouth as well as the internet! I'm grateful that there are only two counties left in this goal.

The next race that I hope to do is the 10th Annual Run for Kathy 5K by Allen Pond in Bowie (Prince George's County), Maryland tomorrow (Saturday, October 11, 2008). I want to do this one for a couple of reasons. First, our friend-of-the-family, Kathy, recently passed away because of cancer and I'd like to run this event and a lot of my other upcoming races to help honor her. I figured it was no mistake that there is a race called "Run for Kathy" coming up, and it's not too far from where I live. Also, for the past year or two some of my running buddies have been encouraging me to do this and apparently this is the last year they are planning on having this race. If you are interested, you are welcome to check out: http://www.run4kathy.org

We'll see how tomorrow goes at that race. Also, I might do the Howard County Striders' (http://www.striders.net) fifth fall weekly series race at Atholton High School (a 5K road race) on Sunday afternoon; we'll see. If I do that, I'll take it easy most likely.

Thank you all for reading about my struggles and triumphs that God has blessed me with. I am grateful to all of you I have met this year, some of you as a result of me running races in every county of Maryland and Delaware this year, and I appreciate your continued support and prayer as I continue to persevere with it in a tighter time frame (running in running events in every Maryland county within half-a-year's time frame in this current case). I hope you all enjoy the day and weekend; God bless you :)





Running Events I have done this year as of Monday, October 6, 2008

(Italicized ones are the ones within my attempt to run a running event in all of Maryland’s counties within a half-a-year period)

Maryland

Allegany County

- First Annual Spring is Here! 10K – Sunday, April 6, 2008 – Cumberland, MD – 7th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 41:40

- Queen City Junior Striders Meet #2: Paris N. Glendening Park – Tuesday, June 17, 2008 – Frostburg:

- 1-mile cross country race: Winner – 5:52.11

- 2-mile cross country race: 8th overall - 13:13.08

- Andrea’s 5K Memorial Run – Saturday, August 16, 2008 – Barton – 8th overall (3rd in male 20-29 age-group division) – 18:49

Anne Arundel County

-Valentine’s Day 5K Run – Saturday, February 9, 2008 – Kinder Mill Farm Park, Millersville/Severna Park – 10th overall (3rd in male 20-29 age group division) – 17:59.15 (my best time on course :)

- John Wall Mile – Sunday, July 6, 2008 – Severna Park High School Track, Severna Park – 8th overall (fastest heat – 2nd in male 20-29 age-group division) – 5:07

- Annapolis Striders Women’s Distance Festival “Run After the Women” 5K (Men’s race) – Annapolis – 7th overall (25-29 age-group division winner) – 18:50.60 (clock), 18:49 (watch)

- Dog Days 8K Cross Country Run – Sunday, August 3, 2008 – Anne Arundel Community College/Earl Scott Trail, Arnold – 22nd overall – 32:33.04 (clock), 32:30 (watch)

- 22nd Annual BWI 4-Mile Run – Sunday, September 28, 2008 – Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Linthicum – 16th overall – 25:34.6, (clock) 25:33 (watch)

Baltimore City

- Kelly St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock 5K – Sunday, March 16, 2008 – Baltimore City – 61st overall (guntime-based) – 18:33 (guntime), 18:28 (chiptime)

- Dreaded Druid Hills 10K – Saturday, June 28, 2008 – Baltimore City – 22nd overall – 43:12.65

Baltimore County

- Baltimore Road Runners Club (BRRC) Grand Prix Series Eight-Mile Run – Sunday, January 13, 2008 – Loch Raven Reservoir – 11th overall – 53:34

- Patapsco State Park Trail Run (5-6 miles) – Sunday, May 11, 2008 – Patapsco State Park Avalon Area, Arbutus/Catonsville area – 41st overall- 1:05:59

- TEVA Genessee Valley Trail Run 5K – Saturday, June 21, 2008 – Genessee Valley, Parkton – 5th overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 20:07

Calvert County

- First Annual Southern Maryland Community Network Resolution 5K Run/Walk – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – Prince Frederick – 4th overall (20-29 age group winner) – 18:47

- 13th Annual North Beach 5K – Saturday, September 27, 2008 – North Beach – 2nd overall – 19:01

Caroline County

- First Annual St. Patrick’s Day 5K – Saturday, March 15, 2008 – Denton – 2nd overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 18:58 (clock), 18:55 (watch)

- Caroline Hospice Remembrances Run 5K (first year running a 5K course here instead of a 5-miler) – Saturday, September 20, 2008 – Federalsburg Marina Park, Federalsburg – 3rd overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 19:15

Carroll County

- Winfield Mile – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – South Carroll High School, Winfield – 6th overall (2nd in 20-29 age group) – 5:11 (clock), 5:10 (watch)

- Kowomu Trail 5K Road Race – Sunday, August 17, 2008 – Westminster – 2nd overall – 20:21

- 5th Annual Labor Day 5K Rogue Race – Monday, September 1, 2008 – Liberty High School, Eldersburg – 5th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 18:28 (my personal best time on this course and at this event to-date J)

Cecil County

- Inaugural Run for Reading 4K – Saturday, May 10, 2008 – Bayview Elementary School, North East – Winner – 13:13 (accidentally cut the course a bit short) As of this race, Daniel Williams ran a race in every Maryland County along the Mason-Dixon Line J

- Inaugural Paws for Life/Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue May Day 5K – Sunday, May 18, 2008 – Chesapeake City – 20th overall – 29:18

- St. Roch’s Trail Run 7K – Saturday, July 19, 2008 – Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area (N.R.M.A.), Fair Hill/Elkton – Winner – 51:36 (this was after running a little past the actual finish area J)

- Inaugural Charlestown Riverfest River Run 5K – Sunday, September 14, 2008 – Charlestown – 4th overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 20:13

Charles County

- General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon – Sunday, June 29, 2008 – General Smallwood Park, Indian Head/Ironsides/Silver Hill – 194th overall (112th male finisher) – 1:59:32:

- 750-meter swim – 21:15 (ranked 111th fastest male time at this point)

- 1st transition area – 6:29 (ranked 132nd male time at this point)

- 16-mile bike – 1:10:28 (PR and it was ranked 135th male time at this point :)

- 2nd transition area – 1:18 (ranked 60th fastest male time at this point)

- 5K – 20:03 (ran very evenly or even had negative splits, and it was ranked 4th fastest overall, and 3rd fastest among the males J)

Dorchester County

- North Dorchester High School Eagle Athletics Boosters 5th Annual Eagle 5K Run – Saturday, October 4, 2008 – Hurlock – Winner – 18:49 (as of this race, I ran in a running event in every county of Maryland within 2008; God is Awesome J)

Frederick County

- Inaugural the Great “Deadman’s Hill” Down Hill Mile – Friday, April 4, 2008 – Brunswick, MD – 4th overall – 4:50 (off-track PR for a mile distance J) - They had mistaken me for finishing 8th overall with a time of 4:54

- Frederick Steeplechasers Summer Track Series (Two miles on the track) – Wednesday, June 18, 2008 – Frederick High School, Frederick:

- One mile warmup

- Two miles - 6th overall (13th in age-adjusted time) - 11:47 (I ran negative splits :)

- 3X800-meter relay race – Our team earned 2nd overall – My 800-meter splits were about: 2:53, 2:48ish, and then 2:26 (and I think I ran negative splits on that last one as well as keeping a fairly even pace on the first two J)

Garrett County

- Inaugural TEVA Adventure Games 10K Trail Run – Saturday, July 26, 2008 – A.S.C.I./Wisp Ski Resort, Deep Creek Lake – 6th overall (4th male finisher and 20-29 age group division winner) – 50:24 (I ran negative splits on one of the most hilliest and challenging races I’ve run in so far, and it was great scenery too J)

Harford County

- Leap of Faith Fun Run (7K prediction run – Approximately 4.35 miles) – Sunday, February 17, 2008 – Abington – 3rd/4th overall (8th closest to predicted time) – 27:24 (predicted time: 28:00)

- World No Tobacco Day 5K – Sunday, June 8, 2008 – Liriodrendron Mansion/Ma & Pa Trail, Bel Air -- overall (2nd in 20-29 age-group division) – 19:37


Howard County

- Howard County Striders (H.C.S.) Weekly Series (“Operation Iceberg”) #1: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-mile run – Sunday, January 6, 2008 – Columbia/Ellicott City area – 7th overall – 32:18

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #3: Atholton High School 5K Run – Sunday, January 20, 2008 – Columbia – 6th overall – 18:38

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #5: Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Center 15K (first 15K I’ve done as part of the H.C.S. weekly series :) – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Columbia – 11th overall – 1:10:11

- Road Runners Club of America Ten-Mile Club Challenge – Sunday, February 24, 2008 – Columbia – 122nd overall – 1:07:58.85 (clock), 1:07:52 (watch)

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #9: Elkhorn 10K – Sunday, March 30, 2008 – Columbia – 13th overall – 43:42 (clock), 43:39 (watch) – Ran negative splits: 21:53 the first half! J

- Mt. Hebron High School Viking Backers Viking 5K – Sunday, April 13, 2008 – Mt. Hebron High School, Ellicott City – 2nd overall – 18:52

- 30th Annual Clyde’s 10K – Sunday, April 20, 2008 (my five-year anniversary of accepting Jesus Christ as my personal Savior J) – Columbia - - 42:09 (clock), 42:05 (chip)

- H.C.S. “Vernal Velocity” # : Thunder Hill Elementary School 2-miler – Sunday, May 18, 2008 – Columbia – 4th overall – 13:35

- First Annual Friends of the Howard County Library Fun Run/Walk (approximately 2.3 miles) – Saturday, June 7, 2008 – East Columbia Branch Library, Columbia – Winner – 14:25 (I ran a little further past the actual finish area J)

- Damien F. Massella Run for Recovery 5K (new course) – Sunday, June 22, 2008 – Columbia - overall – 18:38

- H.C.S. “Summer Sizzler” #2: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-miler – Wednesday, June 25 – 6th overall – 32:26

- Police Pace 5K – Sunday, September 7, 2008 – Centennial Park, Ellicott City – 11th overall – 18:17.94 (my personal best time on this course to-date J)

- H.C.S. “Legends of the Fall” #2: Longfellow Elementary School 10K – Sunday, September 21, 2008 – 2nd overall 44:32 (great pacing, because I went through the first half in about 22:13 J)

Kent County

- 32nd Annual Chestertown Tea Party Distance Classic 5K – Saturday, May 24, 2008 – Chestertown – 3rd overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:15 (clock), 19:12 (watch – best time at this event J)

- 27th Annual Rock Hall Flat Five – Friday, July 4, 2008 – Rock Hall – 2nd overall (“Open Men” age group division (20-36) winner) – 32:31 (it probably would have been a bit faster had I not accidentally missed a turn towards the beginning).

Montgomery County

- 5th Annual Walnut Hill Ribbon Run 5K – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Gaithersburg – 2nd overall – 19:51

- Riley’s Rumble Half-Marathon – Sunday, July 27, 2008 – Riley’s Lock, Seneca/Poolesville – 132nd overall (117th male finisher) – 1:48:18 (clock), 1:47:27 (watch) – First half-marathon J

- Sandy Spring Friends School Practice Meet #1 (5K cross country race) – Wednesday, August 20, 2008 – Sandy Spring – 3rd overall (ran unattached) – 19:42 (I really picked it up the third mile J)

Prince George’s (P.G.) County

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, January 27, 2008 – Landover:

- 1,500 meter race – 15th overall - 5:04.9

- 800 meter race – 2nd overall –2:17.5

- 3,200 meter race – winner – 11:24 (best indoor track time for that distance by one second, and the 10:43 3,000 meter split I believe was right around an indoor track best time for me as well J)

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, February 3, 2008 – Landover:

- 800 meter run – 3rd overall – 2:15

- 3,200 meter run – 2nd overall – Have not gotten time yet, but I’m sure it was close to the 11:24 I hit there last weekend J

- Poker Run (3 laps around the lake at the Buddy Attick Park which is approximately 3.79 miles) – Friday, July 11, 2008 – First finisher (my poker hand did not win anything) – 24:44ish (and I was trying to break 25 minutes J)

Queen Anne’s County

- A Day at the Races – Saturday, March 29, 2008 – Queen Anne’s County High School, Centreville:

- 5K (on the high school cross country course) – Winner – 18:59 (probably a little shorter than a 5K, somewhere between 3 and 3.1 miles)

- 1,600 meter/1-mile track open fun run – 3rd overall – 6:34

- Kent Island Relay for Life – Saturday, June 7, 2008 – Kent Island High School, Stevensville – I ran about or almost four miles worth and I was one of the few joggers/runners at the event.

- Kennard Alumini Association 5K Walk/Run & Family Day (new course this year) - Saturday, June 14, 2008 – Kennard Elementary School, Centreville – Winner – 19:20

Saint Mary’s County

- 27th Annual Chaptico Classic 5K – Saturday, August 30, 2008 – Chaptico – 4th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:10

Somerset County

- 3rd Annual McCready Health Services Foundation Founder’s Day 8K – Saturday, May 3, 2008 – Crisfield – 2nd overall – 34:51 (clock), 34:27 (watch)

Talbot County

- Talbot Kids Fun Run (advertised as three-miles, but less than that) – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – North Easton Sportsplex (Rails-to-Trails), Easton – Winner – Probably ran low-to-mid 14’s based on the times of other runners (I did not run my watch on this one)

Washington County

- 27th Annual Gary Brown Memorial C&O Canal Five-Mile Run – Saturday, August 23, 2008 – Williamsport - 21st overall – 31:31

Wicomico County

- Mid-Shore Family YMCA Funny Bunny 5K Run – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – Salisbury – 2nd overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:35

- Winter Place Park Summer Cross-Country Series #1 – Saturday, August 2, 2008 – Winter Place Park, Salisbury – 4th overall (won a Chick-Fil-A coupon as a door prize) – 19:01

- Vernon Powell Shoes The Athlete 5K Challenge – Saturday, October 4, 2008 – Salisbury – 5th overall (2nd in 20-29 age-group division; second to Fernando Guerrero, a famous boxer) – 19:08

Worcester County

- Ocean City Factory Outlets 5K – Saturday, April 12, 2008 – Ocean City – 2nd overall – 19:11

Events outside of Maryland

Delaware

(Italicized ones are Delaware counties that I ran in the week of 5-25-to-5-31-2008)

Kent County

- 4th Annual Firefly 5K Run – Wednesday, May 28, 2008 – Smyrna – 6th overall (2nd in male 20-29 age-group division) – 18:53 (clock), 18:52 (watch)

New Castle County

- 7th Annual Friends of Mary Husty 5K – Monday, May 26, 2008 – University of Delaware, Newark – 8th overall (male 19-29 age-group division winner – Now I’ve won my age group in all three counties of Delaware in my lifetime J) – 18:38 (clock), 18:36 (watch)

Sussex County

- 15th Annual Masser Five-Miler – Sunday, May 25, 2008 – Lewes – 12th overall (3rd in male 25-29 age-group division) – 31:47 (clock), 31:45 (watch – My pace got faster later in the race :)

District of Columbia – Washington

- 410th Tidal Basin 3K – Wednesday, March 19, 2008 – Tidal Basin, Washington D.C. – 9th overall – 10:46

- 412th Tidal Basin 3K – Wednesday, June 18, 2008 – Tidal Basin, Washington D.C. - overall – 11:01

Virginia

Accomack County

Arlington County

- Potomac Valley Track Club All-Comers’ Indoor Track & Field Meet – Sunday, February 3, 2008 - Thomas Jefferson Community Center, Arlington:

- 1 mile run – 6th overall – 5:17.0

- 800 meter run – 6th overall – 2:22.5

- 3,000 meter run – 7th overall – 10:59.8

Fairfax County

- 30th Annual Patriot’s Cup 8K – Sunday, May 4, 2008 – George Mason University, Fairfax – 20th overall – 32:27 (clock), 32:23ish (watch)

Northampton County

No comments: