Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Recent Injuries and Illnesses

I ran some timed intervals today (meaning I ran hard for certain amounts of time and then took some rest in between each interval) in the bike paths in and around the Kendall Ridge neighborhood near Long Reach High School in Columbia (Howard County), MD. I ran two five-minute intervals with three minutes rest in between of walking, and then took about two minutes of rest after the second interval and ran hard for four minutes. I focuesd on building into these intervals. Before going into this workout, I thought about all of the injuries and other challenges I have had during this past half-year.
When I ran the McCready Health Services Foundation Founders' Day 8K in Crisfield (Somerset County), MD on Saturday, May 3, that was sort of the "starting line" for this race to get in a running event in every county of Maryland within a ahlf-a-year (therefore I have until Monday, November 3, 2008 to get them all in). At this point, I just have Talbot County left and I'm hoping this Saturday to finish it out there at the Fall into St. Michaels 5K in St. Michaels. When I ran that 8K in Crisfield, I was coming off of a brief time off because I was rehabbing plantar fascitis in my left foot that had been really challenging me and my running for a long time. Fortunately, I was ablet o get hooked up with Dr. Steacy, who really did a great and effective job in examining and treating me, as well as putting me on a stretching and icing regimen that I think for the most part I have been pretty good about following. In addition to that, over the summer I strained a muscle in my left foot while I was doing a track work out in Baltimore County, MD, and just as that was finally getting better, I sprained my ankle at the beginning of the Police Pace 5K in Howard County in the beginning of September. also, right aroudn that time, I started in on a series of I guess illnesses where I would feel sick to my stomach for almost a week (and I think there were various reasons for these stomach aches, one of them I think had to do with the coffee I was drinking, because during the afternoon I would start to feel pretty queasy). Plus, the weekend before last, I felt pretty sick and weak because I think I ate too much too fast at the Golden Corral in Anne Arundel County, MD. At any rate, I feel like I've been through quite a bit, and that's just been with the physical adversity, in only a half-a-year (and I admit that I had at least am partially responsible for each illness and/or injury in some way). But God has gotten me through and He has not allowed me to be deterred from this goal. He has been faithful to get me back to good health, and into shape, and to help to and thorugh the races. I hope that despite the rainy weather forecast for this Saturday, that I run well at the Fall into St. Michael's 5K; more imporatantly, I hope that things work out that I can make it to and through that race! I just hope that I stay healthy throughout this week. I'll try not to be so nervous; I think I'm just excited to have this accelerated Maryland running and racing goal almost completed!
There have been some difficulties on this quest, as well as last year's endeavor to participate in a running event in every county of Maryland within a year, some of which I have been explicit about in my blogs. I am glad and thankful to all of you who have been supportive of and encouraging to me in this, know matter how crazy it can seem sometimes. And I thank any of you in advance who come out to St. Michael's on Saturday to participate in the 5K and/or to come out and support. You deserve to be commended!

All right, I just wanted to get those thoughts off of my chest. I know I should just try to focus on the rest of the week with work and homework for my class and all, but this is pretty exciting and hard to keep out of my head. I am grateful that God has blessed me with joy in this, but I should make sure that I spend time with Him and focusing on what He wants, because the Good Lord always knows what is best.

Thank you all for reading, I wish you a good night!

No comments: