Thursday, October 23, 2008

A couple of dedications!

The hopeful completion of this half-a-year running/racing goal in Maryland is coming up within the next couple of days, and I feel like I should say something: I would like to dedicate this to the memories of two people who recently passed on; Romnick Menta and Kathy Halvorson.

I met Romnick when I was out with my family in southern California visiting my relatives. My cousin Rachel and I were driving back from a run around some of Lake Miramar and I think we stopped to get gas or stopped at a convenience store, and we met her friend Romnick (and I think the other gentleman with him was Kyle). It was pretty funny how we met, because Romnick was staring out the window, making faces at my cousin. I wasn't sure if he was hitting on her or something, but I just remember me meeting him and finding it easy to goof around with him. I remember us freestyle rapping and telling some jokes. That was the only time I remember meeting him in person; of course my cousins were much closer friends to him than I became. Soon after I talked on the phone with him a time or two, and I think had some chats over instant messenger and Myspace. Though, I'll admit I did not really keep in touch with him that much, but it was always nice to hear from him or think about him. Well, I found some months back that he perished in a horrible car accident in California back in June, and I was saddened by it quite a bit. I think that we were distant friends at best, and had we talked more we probably would have been much better friends. I am grateful that he had friends like my cousins and their friends, who seem to really care a lot about him and even dedicated a Facebook.Com club to him and his memory.
I would like to finish this running goal in memory of Romnick Menta!

Also, my friend Kathy passed away almost a month ago . That was pretty rough to hear. My mom and her great friends, even though she lived in South Carolina the latter years of her life with her husband. This is the same Kathy I was talking about when I ran that 10th Annual Run for Kathy 5K on Saturday, October 11, 2008 in Prince George's County, MD. I remembered her I think from infancy. She would always do something cute like lightly bump the palm of her hand on top of my head and go, "boingy, boingy, boingy!" I think I've known her since I was like one or two years-old, possibly even younger. At any rate, she is one of the people that I have known the longest, and I miss her. I remember that when I moved back with my parents in Howard County, MD after graduating from Salisbury University, she would call my mom quite a bit and sometimes I would answer the phone and we would talk a while about my writing, school, work, running, friends. She was supportive of it, and I believe she saw some of my writing samples and I think my mom may have told her (if I hadn't) about last year's success in running in a running event in every county of Maryland and Delaware. I am confident that she was, or would have been, proud of me and happy about that!
I would like to finish this running goal in memory of Kathy Halvorson!

Thank you all for reading this. I hope to at least write their names down on my race bib (if they have them there) and if not, maybe write their names on a piece of paper, and stick that paper on my back and run with it on my back as best I can. Something like that; we'll see what happens. I only regret that I don't think I told them how important they were to me or kept them in the loop as far as my life is concerned. Romnick and Kathy were great friends and I hope that upon completing this goal, I can do them proud! And of course I want to glorify God with this, since He has been awesome in making all of this possible and lifting me up to do this. And if things don't work out with finishing it, I trust that God has a plan. Please keep praying for me; it's definitely appreciated :)
I hope that you all have a good night!

No comments: