Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Let's play some catch-up (now I'm trying to do running events in every county of Maryland within a half-a-year)!!!!!

















Left: Me with a medal for finishing among the top three finishers at the 12th Annual North Beach 5K in Calvert County, MD on Saturday, September 15, 2007. Right: My friends and I upon finishing that same race, which significantly marked the conclusion to last year's endeavor to run in a running event in every county of Maryland in 2007 :)


Greetings everyone, as you've probably noticed since the late April of this year not long after I moved to Baltimore County, MD (where I'm still living), I started to fall behind in my blogging. I blogged about some running events I ran back in May as well as my successful endeavors to run in a running event in all three of Delaware's counties within a week, as well as details on my first triathlon experience in Charles County, Maryland. Now I've decided for my next entry to be about my more recent running experiences (and hopefully it stays that way on a fairly consistent basis, as I'm now settled into my new town house and we have internet over there too). I thank you all for your patience with my blogging and your attempts to keep in touch with me (and I hope I have made your attempts worthwhile).

As probably a good handful of you have heard, I am now attempting to run in a running event in every county of Maryland (including one in Baltimore City) within half-a-year! Last year I had so much fun in my endeavor to run in a running event in every county of Maryland within a year, and this year I wanted to do it again. When I started in earnest at the beginning of this year, I was getting in quite a few counties. However, as it got around April, I realized that I could probably do a race in every county of Maryland within the first half of the year, but when the race I thought that would occur in around mid-April in Dorchester County did not end up happening this year, that sorta threw off things. So the short of it is, I went back to the 3rd Annual McCready Health Services Foundation Founder's Day 8K on Saturday, May 3, 2008 in Crisfield (Somerset County), MD (one of my favorite races on the Maryland Eastern Shore that I've done every year that they have had it) after some time off as a result of the plantar fascia injury. Somerset County, in my opinion, is one of the most difficult counties in Maryland with which to find year-around running events in. So I decided that that could be my starting mark for a six month period of running races in all of Maryland's counties. I would have until, I guess, Monday, November 3, 2008 to get them in within a half-a-year. Since then, things have been goin' pretty well. I've gotten races in in Charles, Cecil, Kent, and Queen Anne's Counties, which are some of the more difficult Maryland counties in which to find year-around races and running events (at least from my experience).
Therefore, I have done many races this summer all over Maryland. This endeavor has been fun for the most part (which is no suprise) and I've met some new people and made a few new friends along the way (some weren't even really related to running, but I met them in a local library when I was blogging there :) In this past summer, I completed my first triathlon (the General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon on Sunday, June 29, 2008 in Charles County, MD), my first half-marathon (approximately 13.1 miles and it was the Riley's Rumble Half-Marathon on Sunday, July 27, 2008 in Montgomery County, MD), and the morning before I went to Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County Maryland for my first time on Saturday, July 26, 2008 for the inaugural TEVA Adventure Games 10K Trail Run (which has been one of the most hilliest yet scenic races I've even run in so far :) And of course, I've been blessed to have run a race in all three counties (Kent, New Castle, and Sussex Counties) of Delaware within a week towards the end of May :) This has been a fun year so far, I apologize for slacking on my blogging and keeping some of you more dedicated readers out-of-the-loop. I also hope to go back to some of my older posts and supplement them with photos. I have three counties left in this endeavor, and they are all on the Maryland Eastern Shore (which from my experience one of the hardest regions to find year-around running events because some of the counties there don't always seem to have a lot). Those counties are Dorchester, Talbot, and Worcester Counties, and I hope to do some races in those counties in the near future, God willing!

The plantar fascitis I was struggling with from 2007 into 2008 has pretty much gotten better as a result of God's grace and physical therapy. It's only bothered me in the right foot a couple of times since like May or June, which isn't too bad. I was running some 500-meter and 300-meter repeats on a track near where I live back in August, and I strained a muscle in my left foot. It was weird, 'cause it would bother me when I would stand, walk, or sit/lay-down on occasion, but not really when I ran (I was at least grateful for that). I saw the physical therapist for that (the same one who helped treat the plantar fascia), and I was about recovered from that when I ran the Police Pace 5K in Howard County, MD on Sunday, September 7, 2008 and I sprained my left ankle in the beginning of the race. Fortunately, God helped me finish the race in my personal best time-to-date on that course of 18:17 before I started to feel the pain in my left ankle, just above where I strained a muscle about a year before. Oh my poor left foot.
So yea, I'm still seeing the physical therapist (who has been doing a great, effective job in my opinion) and I've been advised to keep my running to only a few times a week and that my races should not be too agressive. My workouts should not be anything harder than a tempo run; no intervals or speedwork for right now, 'cause I know I can feel the strain on my ankle. So yea, my training these past few weeks has been rather light and I think I've been lucky to get near or over 20-miles-a-week. I'm so grateful that I can still do races, even though not as well right now as I was doing in early September before I sprained my ankle. So that's pretty much what's been goin' on on the health and injury front; believe me, it could be incredibly worse and the sprain was only minor.
I'm still working as a teachers' aide at the Homewood Center; mainly with a high school social studies teacher this year, and that's been goin' well. I've been able to connect with the material a bit, especially with geographical and historical things I've learned in my Maryland-wide running endeavors! I'm taking a course at a community college in Catonsville (Baltimore County), MD (History 101) and I'm hopin' that this Western Civilization history course can not only help me in my job, but help fill in some holes in my undergraduate requirements to earn a Masters of Arts in Teaching at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (U.M.B.C.), where I'm strongly considering attending graduate school at, God willing.

Now to bring this up to the present, last Saturday (September 27) I went back to the North Beach 5K (which is now in its 13th year) that helps benefit Northern High School's boys' soccer program in Calvert County, MD. This was the race in North Beach (Calvert County), MD that I ran last year (Saturday, September 15, 2007) to finish out my quest last year of running in a running event in every county of Maryland within a year :) So yea, this race is definitely special to me! I ran an 18:48 there last year, and since I had hardly run this week because I was recovering from my sprained left ankle, I figured I'd be happy just to break 20 minutes on this relatively challenging course. The weekend before, I ran about 19:15 for the Remembrances Run 5K, but that was on a more flat course in Federalsburg (Caroline County), MD. This course had some rolling hills for the first coupla miles or so before flattening out towards the end.
I started out modestly in the middle of the pack, but within the first half-mile, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself near the front, and as we went up this long and fairly challenging hill, I found myself in the lead. I was so happy to find that I had a decent amount of energy and the toughest hill on the course (at least the first one was in my opinion) was pretty much over with within the first mile or so. The course kept progressing along this road, and we would turn onto these side streets and sort of make our way along the road, or go parallel to it by going on the shaded suburban streets. I was surprise that I was not only able ot maintain the lead, but extend it because after the first couple of hills, I didn't hear the other runners behind me. Eventually, the course went downhill towards the boardwalk and bay, and I knew from last year's course that we were almost done. As I neared the boardwalk, I saw a course marshal standing this intersection, and I misinterpreted a body movement that he did with his arms, and I thought I was supposed to go left. I wasn't thinking clearly nor was my vision the best since I was running without my glasses, so I turned left, but then the course marshall quickly corrected me and I turned around and ran straight towards the boardwalk. I'd say I could have saved about two or three seconds by not making that mistake, but it was cool 'cause I still felt strong enough to make it to the end and with a quick glance back, I didn't notice any runners gaining on me. It looked like I may win this race!

I made a left turn and ran down this paved trail that ran in between the street (on the left) and the boardwalk (on the right). I'm glad this trail was there because I did not want to run and try to run fast at the end on a boardwalk wet from yesterday's and this morning's rain (and fortunately the rain stopped a little bit before the race started). I saw the finish line far ahead and I muscled my way in, relieved that I had made it through this race without any noticeable aches and pains, especially from my left ankle that was sprained a few weeks earlier. I was just feeling tired from probably not running as much as I should have, but God blessed me with the ability to get through the race at a steady pace.
Before I knew it I crossed the line in 19:01, just thirteen seconds slower than last year's time. Not bad considering I hadn't run much this week, and I am confident that I would have barely broken 19 minutes had I not made that wrong turn as I got near the boardwalk. Oh well, at least I broke 19 minutes at least once on this course when I ran it last year.

One surprise that was waiting for me at the finish line was the guy who actually won the race. Yep, that's right, I didn't win when I thought that for the whole time I was in the lead for most of the race. Apparently what had happened was was that since I started a little ways back in the back, I didn't see the young gentleman who won the race, take off really fast at the beginning, and since there were many turns and I wasn't wearing my glasses, I didn't see him in front of me at all by the time I got about a half-a-mile into the race where I thought I took the lead. I just thought that was hilarious that I thought I was winning when I wasn't; I can't say I've ever had that happen. Nevertheless, I was certainly happy for the gentleman that won the race, 'cause I think he ran a personal best time for himself so far (he ran about 18:03). So him being almost a minute ahead of me on a course like that, it's no wonder I didn't see him. I was pleasantly surprised and well-pleased to have finished second overall and almost break 19 minutes when I thought it may have been a stretch to break 20 minutes. They only give awards at this race to the top three males and top three females overall (no age-group awards or anything like that). I wasn't expecting to finish in the top-three, yet God had other plans and I'm grateful that He did. This has been the fastest 5K I've run since I've tapered back from running after spraining my ankle a few weeks back.

After the race, I met up with one of my friends who lives around that area, and her boyfriend, and we went to another friends housewarming party. I felt pretty well during the race and trhoughout the day, so I decided on doing another race that I've kind of wanted to try for a while, the next day: The Baltimore-Washington International (B.W.I.) Airport 4-Mile Run in Linthicum (Anne Arundel County), MD.

So the next morning (this is Sunday, September 28 now), I drove over to the B.W.I. Airport (which is pretty close to where I live) for the B.W.I. Airport 4-Mile Run. I didn't know what to expect from myself since I hadn't run much the week before, yet I had run a 5K better than I expected the day before. I figured that probably the best I could hope for was a finishing time in the 25's or the 26's; and I thought it would be nice if my 5K split was a little under 20 minutes (or that my 3-mile split would be equivalent to that pace.

Most of this out-and-back course was fairly flat with some hills in the beginning, a couple in the middle, and a steady uphill at the end. The race started outside one of the cargo buildings in this wide open road. We started out going straight on this road and down a steady hill onto a flat part of the course. As a result, I think a lot of us had pretty fast first miles. I certainly was not expecting to go through the first mile as fast as 5:52ish. I knew I probably was not going to be able ot hoold it that well, but I would see what would happen, because God may have different plans. The course went up a steady hill, then down a steady hill into the larg Northrop-Gruman parking lot, where there was a water stop. We madea loop around this parking lot and I went thorugh two miles in about 12:12 (wow, now I was on pace to get just under 19 minutes for a 5K, but I figured that was probably not going to be the case since I was feeling pretty tired). Shortly after I started cramping up, and by the time I neared the three-mile mark, I could feel my right foot begin to tense up, just like it did late last year and earlier this year when the plantar fascitis would bother me. The last time this bothered me was on Friday (the Fourth of July) when I ran the Rock Hall Flat Five in Kent County on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Yea, I was a little worried to say the least, but delighted to see that I ran through three miles in 18:45; a 6:15-per-mile pace, a pace that probably helped get in the mid-to-upper 19:20's for my 5K split, and one that would have landed me 25 minutes exactly upon finishing four miles.
WHen I rounded the left and final turn on the course not long after the three-mile mark, I felt pretty tired and I got ready to go up the steady hill that took up a good portion of the last mile. I felt pretty tired at this point from running a little over three miles a bit harder than I expected (and probably from yesterday morning's 5K in southern Maryland), and from my having my right foot and leg getting tense on me. I thought that this would have probably been fine if this were a two-miler or even a 5K, but I was certainly glad this was not going to be longer than four miles.
Once I got to the top of the hill, I was feeling run-down
to say the least, but I knew the finish line was coming up, and far ahead I saw blinking lights of a display that was by the finish line. With that, I tried to pick up the pace. I didn't feel that strong towards the end, but I knew I was working pretty hard. I still felt some tension in my right foot and knee.
God helped me get through this last stretch and finish in about 25:33 (even though the clock got me at 25:34.6, which was probably because I started a second or so behind when the gun started, because it took me about a second to reach the actual starting line from where I was standing and I did not start my watch until I reached the starting line). I was fine with this time, it was pretty much the best I could expect for myself right now, but I was a bit worried about my right leg. Perhaps I strained it the previous day in the North Beach 5K or I didn't stretch well enough afterwards. It could have been what my physical therapist said about more impact being on my right foot because of compensating on it for the hurt left ankle. Maybe this race was just a bit longer than what I should have been doing. Maybe I should have stuck with just the North Beach 5K this weekend, because I didn't need to get in an Anne Arundel County event at this point on my quest, just a Calvert County one, and the North Beach 5K had provided such a convenient opportunity.
Anyway, though, I am happy that I went through my 5K split in well under 20 minutes, and in fact my pace-per-mile was about 6:23-a-mile on average, which is a pace that is under 20 minutes for a 5K. And I have to remember I'm not running as much as I usually do, and I'm not doing much in the way of speedwork lately aside from races.
So with those aches and pains (and hopefully that's all they are and nothing more), I was pretty happy with the race. I didn't feel much tension from my left ankle, so I think that's going all right. Fortunately, I have an appointment with the physical therapist later on this week, so I'll make sure I bring this up to him.


Hopefully I'll be good to go and at least be able to finish my next planned race, which is this weekend at the Hurlock Fall Festival in Hurlock (Dorchester County), MD. It's the North Dorchester High School Eagle 5K Run/Walk, and it has been put on by the Seashore Striders (http://www.SeashoreStriders.com) I haven't run this one before, but I hear it's pretty flat. My friend John and I are planning on doing it. John has done it before and he says he has enjoyed it. I hope to make it out. This should be an excellent opportunity to get a race in in Dorchester County (a county that I find is quite challenging to find year-around running events in, much less in this area of the county as most of the races and running events occur on the south end of Dorchester County in the Cambridge area). That said, I think this will be neat and Hurlock is a pretty little town, not too far from Federalsburg, MD (and pretty similar in appearance). Also, as you may notice below, Dorchester County is the only Maryland county that I have not run in a running event in yet this year. I'm glad at the very least it looks like I'll have an opportunity with this race. Plus it's through the Seashore Striders, and I've enjoyed their races these past few years.

All right, thank you all for reading. Back by at least my own popular demand is a list below of the running events I've run in this year and where I've run them in. I hope that you all have a good night and thank you very much for your patience, support, prayer, and enthusiasm! Be blessed :)

Running Events I have done this year as of Tuesday, September 30, 2008

(Italicized ones are the ones within my attempt to run a running event in all of Maryland’s counties within a half-a-year period)

Maryland

Allegany County

- First Annual Spring is Here! 10K – Sunday, April 6, 2008 – Cumberland, MD – 7th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 41:40

- Queen City Junior Striders Meet #2: Paris N. Glendening Park – Tuesday, June 17, 2008 – Frostburg:

- 1-mile cross country race: Winner – 5:52.11

- 2-mile cross country race: 8th overall - 13:13.08

- Andrea’s 5K Memorial Run – Saturday, August 16, 2008 – Barton – 8th overall (3rd in male 20-29 age-group division) – 18:49

Anne Arundel County

-Valentine’s Day 5K Run – Saturday, February 9, 2008 – Kinder Mill Farm Park, Millersville/Severna Park – 10th overall (3rd in male 20-29 age group division) – 17:59.15 (my best time on course J)

- John Wall Mile – Sunday, July 6, 2008 – Severna Park High School Track, Severna Park – 8th overall (fastest heat – 2nd in male 20-29 age-group division) – 5:07

- Annapolis Striders Women’s Distance Festival “Run After the Women” 5K (Men’s race) – Annapolis – 7th overall (25-29 age-group division winner) – 18:50.60 (clock), 18:49 (watch)

- Dog Days 8K Cross Country Run – Sunday, August 3, 2008 – Anne Arundel Community College/Earl Scott Trail, Arnold – 22nd overall – 32:33.04 (clock), 32:30 (watch)

- 22nd Annual BWI 4-Mile Run – Sunday, September 28, 2008 – Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Linthicum – 16th overall – 25:34.6, (clock) 25:33 (watch)

Baltimore City

- Kelly St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock 5K – Sunday, March 16, 2008 – Baltimore City – 61st overall (guntime-based) – 18:33 (guntime), 18:28 (chiptime)

- Dreaded Druid Hills 10K – Saturday, June 28, 2008 – Baltimore City – 22nd overall – 43:12.65

Baltimore County

- Baltimore Road Runners Club (BRRC) Grand Prix Series Eight-Mile Run – Sunday, January 13, 2008 – Loch Raven Reservoir – 11th overall – 53:34

- Patapsco State Park Trail Run (5-6 miles) – Sunday, May 11, 2008 – Patapsco State Park Avalon Area, Arbutus/Catonsville area – 41st overall- 1:05:59

- TEVA Genessee Valley Trail Run 5K – Saturday, June 21, 2008 – Genessee Valley, Parkton – 5th overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 20:07

Calvert County

- First Annual Southern Maryland Community Network Resolution 5K Run/Walk – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – Prince Frederick – 4th overall (20-29 age group winner) – 18:47

- 13th Annual North Beach 5K – Saturday, September 27, 2008 – North Beach – 2nd overall – 19:01

Caroline County

- First Annual St. Patrick’s Day 5K – Saturday, March 15, 2008 – Denton – 2nd overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 18:58 (clock), 18:55 (watch)

- Caroline Hospice Remembrances Run 5K (first year running a 5K course here instead of a 5-miler) – Saturday, September 20, 2008 – Federalsburg Marina Park, Federalsburg – 3rd overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 19:15

Carroll County

- Winfield Mile – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – South Carroll High School, Winfield – 6th overall (2nd in 20-29 age group) – 5:11 (clock), 5:10 (watch)

- Kowomu Trail 5K Road Race – Sunday, August 17, 2008 – Westminster – 2nd overall – 20:21

- 5th Annual Labor Day 5K Rogue Race – Monday, September 1, 2008 – Liberty High School, Eldersburg – 5th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 18:28 (my personal best time on this course and at this event to-date :)

Cecil County

- Inaugural Run for Reading 4K – Saturday, May 10, 2008 – Bayview Elementary School, North East – Winner – 13:13 (accidentally cut the course a bit short) As of this race, Daniel Williams ran a race in every Maryland County along the Mason-Dixon Line J

- Inaugural Paws for Life/Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue May Day 5K – Sunday, May 18, 2008 – Chesapeake City – 20th overall – 29:18

- St. Roch’s Trail Run 7K – Saturday, July 19, 2008 – Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area (N.R.M.A.), Fair Hill/Elkton – Winner – 51:36 (this was after running a little past the actual finish area J)

- Inaugural Charlestown Riverfest River Run 5K – Sunday, September 14, 2008 – Charlestown – 4th overall (20-29 age group division winner) – 20:13

Charles County

- General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon – Sunday, June 29, 2008 – General Smallwood Park, Indian Head/Ironsides/Silver Hill – 194th overall (112th male finisher) – 1:59:32:

- 750-meter swim – 21:15 (ranked 111th fastest male time at this point)

- 1st transition area – 6:29 (ranked 132nd male time at this point)

- 16-mile bike – 1:10:28 (PR and it was ranked 135th male time at this point :)

- 2nd transition area – 1:18 (ranked 60th fastest male time at this point)

- 5K – 20:03 (ran very evenly or even had negative splits, and it was ranked 4th fastest overall, and 3rd fastest among the males :)

Dorchester County

Frederick County

- Inaugural the Great “Deadman’s Hill” Down Hill Mile – Friday, April 4, 2008 – Brunswick, MD – 4th overall – 4:50 (off-track PR for a mile distance J) - They had mistaken me for finishing 8th overall with a time of 4:54

- Frederick Steeplechasers Summer Track Series (Two miles on the track) – Wednesday, June 18, 2008 – Frederick High School, Frederick:

- One mile warmup

- Two miles - 6th overall (13th in age-adjusted time) - 11:47 (I ran negative splits :)

- 3X800-meter relay race – Our team earned 2nd overall – My 800-meter splits were about: 2:53, 2:48ish, and then 2:26 (and I think I ran negative splits on that last one as well as keeping a fairly even pace on the first two :)

Garrett County

- Inaugural TEVA Adventure Games 10K Trail Run – Saturday, July 26, 2008 – A.S.C.I./Wisp Ski Resort, Deep Creek Lake – 6th overall (4th male finisher and 20-29 age group division winner) – 50:24 (I ran negative splits on one of the most hilliest and challenging races I’ve run in so far, and it was great scenery too :)

Harford County

- Leap of Faith Fun Run (7K prediction run – Approximately 4.35 miles) – Sunday, February 17, 2008 – Abington – 3rd/4th overall (8th closest to predicted time) – 27:24 (predicted time: 28:00)

- World No Tobacco Day 5K – Sunday, June 8, 2008 – Liriodrendron Mansion/Ma & Pa Trail, Bel Air -- overall (2nd in 20-29 age-group division) – 19:37


Howard County

- Howard County Striders (H.C.S.) Weekly Series (“Operation Iceberg”) #1: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-mile run – Sunday, January 6, 2008 – Columbia/Ellicott City area – 7th overall – 32:18

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #3: Atholton High School 5K Run – Sunday, January 20, 2008 – Columbia – 6th overall – 18:38

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #5: Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Center 15K (first 15K I’ve done as part of the H.C.S. weekly series :) – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Columbia – 11th overall – 1:10:11

- Road Runners Club of America Ten-Mile Club Challenge – Sunday, February 24, 2008 – Columbia – 122nd overall – 1:07:58.85 (clock), 1:07:52 (watch)

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #9: Elkhorn 10K – Sunday, March 30, 2008 – Columbia – 13th overall – 43:42 (clock), 43:39 (watch) – Ran negative splits: 21:53 the first half! :)

- Mt. Hebron High School Viking Backers Viking 5K – Sunday, April 13, 2008 – Mt. Hebron High School, Ellicott City – 2nd overall – 18:52

- 30th Annual Clyde’s 10K – Sunday, April 20, 2008 (my five-year anniversary of accepting Jesus Christ as my personal Savior J) – Columbia - - 42:09 (clock), 42:05 (chip)

- H.C.S. “Vernal Velocity” # : Thunder Hill Elementary School 2-miler – Sunday, May 18, 2008 – Columbia – 4th overall – 13:35

- First Annual Friends of the Howard County Library Fun Run/Walk (approximately 2.3 miles) – Saturday, June 7, 2008 – East Columbia Branch Library, Columbia – Winner – 14:25 (I ran a little further past the actual finish area J)

- Damien F. Massella Run for Recovery 5K (new course) – Sunday, June 22, 2008 – Columbia - overall – 18:38

- H.C.S. “Summer Sizzler” #2: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-miler – Wednesday, June 25 – 6th overall – 32:26

- Police Pace 5K – Sunday, September 7, 2008 – Centennial Park, Ellicott City – 11th overall – 18:17.94 (my personal best time on this course to-date J)

- H.C.S. “Legends of the Fall” #2: Longfellow Elementary School 10K – Sunday, September 21, 2008 – 2nd overall 44:32 (great pacing, because I went through the first half in about 22:13 J)

Kent County

- 32nd Annual Chestertown Tea Party Distance Classic 5K – Saturday, May 24, 2008 – Chestertown – 3rd overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:15 (clock), 19:12 (watch – best time at this event J)

- 27th Annual Rock Hall Flat Five – Friday, July 4, 2008 – Rock Hall – 2nd overall (“Open Men” age group division (20-36) winner) – 32:31 (it probably would have been a bit faster had I not accidentally missed a turn towards the beginning).

Montgomery County

- 5th Annual Walnut Hill Ribbon Run 5K – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Gaithersburg – 2nd overall – 19:51

- Riley’s Rumble Half-Marathon – Sunday, July 27, 2008 – Riley’s Lock, Seneca/Poolesville – 132nd overall (117th male finisher) – 1:48:18 (clock), 1:47:27 (watch) – First half-marathon J

- Sandy Spring Friends School Practice Meet #1 (5K cross country race) – Wednesday, August 20, 2008 – Sandy Spring – 3rd overall (ran unattached) – 19:42 (I really picked it up the third mile J)

Prince George’s (P.G.) County

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, January 27, 2008 – Landover:

- 1,500 meter race – 15th overall - 5:04.9

- 800 meter race – 2nd overall –2:17.5

- 3,200 meter race – winner – 11:24 (best indoor track time for that distance by one second, and the 10:43 3,000 meter split I believe was right around an indoor track best time for me as well J)

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, February 3, 2008 – Landover:

- 800 meter run – 3rd overall – 2:15

- 3,200 meter run – 2nd overall – Have not gotten time yet, but I’m sure it was close to the 11:24 I hit there last weekend J

- Poker Run (3 laps around the lake at the Buddy Attick Park which is approximately 3.79 miles) – Friday, July 11, 2008 – First finisher (my poker hand did not win anything) – 24:44ish (and I was trying to break 25 minutes J)

Queen Anne’s County

- A Day at the Races – Saturday, March 29, 2008 – Queen Anne’s County High School, Centreville:

- 5K (on the high school cross country course) – Winner – 18:59 (probably a little shorter than a 5K, somewhere between 3 and 3.1 miles)

- 1,600 meter/1-mile track open fun run – 3rd overall – 6:34

- Kent Island Relay for Life – Saturday, June 7, 2008 – Kent Island High School, Stevensville – I ran about or almost four miles worth and I was one of the few joggers/runners at the event.

- Kennard Alumini Association 5K Walk/Run & Family Day (new course this year) - Saturday, June 14, 2008 – Kennard Elementary School, Centreville – Winner – 19:20

Saint Mary’s County

- 27th Annual Chaptico Classic 5K – Saturday, August 30, 2008 – Chaptico – 4th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:10

Somerset County

- 3rd Annual McCready Health Services Foundation Founder’s Day 8K – Saturday, May 3, 2008 – Crisfield – 2nd overall – 34:51 (clock), 34:27 (watch)

Talbot County

- Talbot Kids Fun Run (advertised as three-miles, but less than that) – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – North Easton Sportsplex (Rails-to-Trails), Easton – Winner – Probably ran low-to-mid 14’s based on the times of other runners (I did not run my watch on this one)

Washington County

- 27th Annual Gary Brown Memorial C&O Canal Five-Mile Run – Saturday, August 23, 2008 – Williamsport - 21st overall – 31:31

Wicomico County

- Mid-Shore Family YMCA Funny Bunny 5K Run – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – Salisbury – 2nd overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:35

- Winter Place Park Summer Cross-Country Series #1 – Saturday, August 2, 2008 – Winter Place Park, Salisbury – 4th overall – 19:01

Worcester County

- Ocean City Factory Outlets 5K – Saturday, April 12, 2008 – Ocean City – 2nd overall – 19:11

Events outside of Maryland

Delaware

(Italicized ones are Delaware counties that I ran in the week of 5-25-to-5-31-2008)

Kent County

- 4th Annual Firefly 5K Run – Wednesday, May 28, 2008 – Smyrna – 6th overall (2nd in male 20-29 age-group division) – 18:53 (clock), 18:52 (watch)

New Castle County

- 7th Annual Friends of Mary Husty 5K – Monday, May 26, 2008 – University of Delaware, Newark – 8th overall (male 19-29 age-group division winner – Now I’ve won my age group in all three counties of Delaware in my lifetime J) – 18:38 (clock), 18:36 (watch)

Sussex County

- 15th Annual Masser Five-Miler – Sunday, May 25, 2008 – Lewes – 12th overall (3rd in male 25-29 age-group division) – 31:47 (clock), 31:45 (watch – My pace got faster later in the race :)

District of Columbia – Washington

- 410th Tidal Basin 3K – Wednesday, March 19, 2008 – Tidal Basin, Washington D.C. – 9th overall – 10:46

- 412th Tidal Basin 3K – Wednesday, June 18, 2008 – Tidal Basin, Washington D.C. - overall – 11:01

Virginia

Accomack County

Arlington County

- Potomac Valley Track Club All-Comers’ Indoor Track & Field Meet – Sunday, February 3, 2008 - Thomas Jefferson Community Center, Arlington:

- 1 mile run – 6th overall – 5:17.0

- 800 meter run – 6th overall – 2:22.5

- 3,000 meter run – 7th overall – 10:59.8

Fairfax County

- 30th Annual Patriot’s Cup 8K – Sunday, May 4, 2008 – George Mason University, Fairfax – 20th overall – 32:27 (clock), 32:23ish (watch)

Northampton County

No comments: