Monday, September 22, 2008

Rest in Peace "Jogging" Joe Shaffran

I found out late last week that one of Maryland's running icons (well in my opinion he was), Joe Shaffran passed away. He was known as "Jogging Joe" and he was heavily involved in the running scene in the Annapolis (Anne Arundel County) area of Maryland as well as surrounding areas. He was revered by many; especially in the running community. He had a radio show on WBIS called "Let's Shape Up" as well as a website with some of his columns and photos called: http://www.letsshapeup.com

And you can check out this website for articles on his passing.

It's quite sad; I found out about it when I had a few minutes of looking around on the internet for something work-related when I saw something about a run to honor "Jogging" Joe Shaffran and I'm like "oh no..." And that's when I read an online article about his recent passing. I have read that Annapolis, MD may be putting on a 5K to honor "Jogging" Joe, and if that happens, I'll see what I can do about making it out...

I was actually fortunate enough to have stumbled upon his columns and the Letsshapeup.Com website, and I even talked on the phone and e-mailed him a few times in regards to my recently successful endeavors to run in a running event in every county of Maryland within 2007. He seemed impressed. I didn't keep in touch with him as much as I wanted; I just got busy with other things... And I had heard that he was working at the Annapolis Mall at times, and I had meant to visit him and meet him in person, but I never got around to it. I don't look at it with heavy regret, because at least I was fortunate enough to know him just a little bit within a year before he passed on, I got to share some of my recent running stories with him, and in return I felt I gained his enthusiasm and appreciation towards it. He was a great friend and a very inspiring person; and from what I hear the local area is probably more healthy as well as into running and such because of him and his enthusiasm towards it.

Thank you all for reading this post! He was so appreciative, attentive, and interested in my Maryland-wide running endeavors in 2007; I feel that the least I could do is mention him in my blog posts!

I hope you all have a blessed night!

No comments: