Friday, February 15, 2008

Northern Illinois University shooting - ugggh!




This morning on my way to work I was listening to the radio and heard about hte awful shooting on the Northern Illinois University campus yesterday evening that involved deaths and injuries. It's so horrible that these school shootings seem to be occuring more frequently over the years. Less than a year ago that terrible shooting at Virginia Tech happened.
I am grateful to God for allowing for so many survivors and healings to those who have lost loved ones as a result of these shootings, and healing of those who have been injured. I know that God knew this was going to happen, and I know that since He loves us even though some of the people He created abuse their freedoms and commit crimes like shooting innocent people, He will take care of us and blesss us through His grace. Of this I'm faithful!
It seems like such a turbulent time. With the primaries going on in the United States of America, and then this shooting occurs, on Valentine's Day no less (a holiday commonly associated with love, romance, friendship, and family to name a few). I hope everyone's doing all right out there.

As far as running is concerned, my stomach seems to be feeling a lot better from last weekend and am running more regularly now. I did my first temp run in months through the Allview Estates neighborhood/Simpsonville area of Howard County, Maryland. This is a fairly hilly neighborhood and I ran it because I know a good portion of the Road Runners Club of America Ten-Mile Club Challenge that's scheduled to occur on Sunday, February 24 this, goes through that area. Like I mentioned in an earlier blog I hope to run in it and run well and healthy. I warmed up for about a mile, then did a nice easy mile, and then for about 3.2 miles, I picked up the pace a bit and covered the 3.2 miles in about 21:38. I was pretty happy with it. I tried to run over a certain part of the course, but I messed up on some of it, and I think I even ran in a part of a neighborhood that was not on the course. Oh well, Iat least I got a solid run out of it and I was still able to measure the distance in my car. Right after the harder portion I ran a more decelerated mile, stopped and stretched, and then ran for about eight minutes and thirty five seconds back to my car as a cooldown. It was a prety nice run, going probably around the lower-to-mid 6:40's-per-mile pace, which will probably be a bit faster than what I hope to turn out at the Club Challenge in a little over a week.

This Sunday (February 17) I hope to go to Abington (Harford County), Maryland for a prediction run. The Renaissance All-Sports Athletic Club (R.A.S.A.C.) is putting on a prediction run that's somewhere between 3-6 miles. The event meets at the Abington Library. I hope to run fairly well there, probably not at a race pace, but at a decent and strong pace. We'll see what God does with that. Anyone who is intersted in this low-key race called the "Leap of Faith Club Race", check out: http://www.rasac.com/docs_schedule/2008_schedule.html. This is the schedule page from R.A.S.A.C.'s website. I think for non-club members (like myself) it's about four bucks and it's free for all members. I hope to make it there and God-willing have a nice run and time there. When I did races around the Baltimore/northern Maryland area a bit last year during my Maryland-wide running quest, I met some cool folks through R.A.S.A.C. and such, so hopefully I may see some of them.

All right, thank you all for reading. Keep the faith and have a good night and weekend :)

No comments: