Sunday, February 17, 2008

Leap of Faith Fun Run went pretty well up in Harford County this morning :)

'Ello everyone. Just got back from Abington (Harford County), Maryland for the Leap of Faith Fun Run (a prediction run). It went pretty well. I was within a minute of my predicted time and in fact I ran a little faster than I predicted and a little faster than I expected to go. That was great because I got less than six ours of sleep last night (I was over at a friend's house for a game night thing and I was having a great time there and ended up staying there later than I intended, and then I got up early to make the 8 A.M. race). I did not expect to hang in there so strongly, but the Good Lord helped keep me together and renewing my energy on the hilly course when I felt like I was spent quite a few times. I felt like I had a couple of solid surges at least!

The event distance ended up being about 7 kilometers (that's about 4.35 miles), an uncommon race distance, but I guess that's what made it fun. I thought that maybe if I was really feelin' well I could handle about a 6:20-per-mile pace which would probably put me at around 28 minutes for a finishing time over a 4.35-mile course. So that was the predicted tim ethat I put down. After the race started I felt a little tired going through the initial hills but then I think my body got used to it.
The whole course went through a series of suburban neighborhoods with rolling hills (some of which I thought were pretty challenging). Some of these neighborhoods reminded me of hte Emerson Community around North Laurel (Howard County), Maryland where I ran those one-mile fun runs last summer. I thought these neighborhoods were a bit more hilly.
I felt like I was pretty strong through to the end (and it was nice because there was a downhill finish. My right ankle felt like it was cramping up a bit, but God was good and did not let it bother me too much. I hope to get some ice on it soon. I was pleasantly surprised to run through the line as one of the event staff called out my time of 27:24, 36 seconds faster than my predictoin and probably a little slower than a 6:15-per-mile pace. Not too bad, considering the fairly challenging course :)

I was in fourth place almost the whole race and htat's where I finished. However, apparently the gentleman who was far ahead of me and leading for most of the race had gotten lost and was still out on the course while I finished, and that put me in third place. I told the race officials and some of the other runners that I was in fourth and that's when I found out that the gentleman who was leading the race had apparently gotten lost and was still out on the course. I'm not sure if they'll put me in third or fourth in the results, so when I post my results here, that's while I'll post it as "3rd/4th overall" until I see the results. I'm not sure how I placed as far as my finish time's finish time to my predicted time (because that's what really gets awarded). I was realy happy for the woman who got the closest to her predicted time (about five seconds off), because she's nice and I've seen her at the races. Shedrove a long way for hte event and she does a lot of them. I think the gentleman who go thte closest to his predicted tim was about seven seconds off. that's pretty close!

This run boosted my confidence, especially for approaching 8K's/5-Milers and 6-milers/10K's (approximately 6.2 miles). My next planned racei s the Road Runners Club of America Ten Mile Club Challenge in Howard County, Maryland near where I live, so I hope to run well there. I'm sure hese hills on this course were good preparation for it, as they seemed similar if not harder than some of hte ones I've experienced on the Club Challenge course.


I hope to have photos of the event and the surrounding area. Last summer when I ran in the eden Mill Five-Mile Run in Pylesville (Harford County), MD, I encountered a very similar problem getting my photos on the computer. I guess my camera and computer don't connect well as far as transferring photos of Harford County, MD are concerned, haha. Eventually I was able to get the photos on to the computer. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you all for reading. God bless you all, and enjoy the weekend and President's Day tomorrow :)

Running Events I have done this year as of Sunday, February 17, 2008

Maryland

Allegany County

Anne Arundel County

-Valentine’s Day 5K Run – Saturday, February 9, 2008 – Kinder Mill Farm Park, Millersville/Severna Park – 10th overall (3rd in male 20-29 age group division) – 17:59.15 (my best time on course :)

Baltimore City

Baltimore County

- Baltimore Road Runners Club (BRRC) Grand Prix Series Eight-Mile Run – Sunday, January 13, 2008 – Loch Raven Reservoir – 11th overall – 53:34

Calvert County

- First Annual Southern Maryland Community Network Resolution 5K Run/Walk – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – Prince Frederick – 4th overall (20-29 age group winner) – 18:47

Caroline County

Carroll County

- Winfield Mile – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – South Carroll High School, Winfield – 6th overall (2nd in 20-29 age group) – 5:11 (clock), 5:10 (watch)

Cecil County

Charles County

Dorchester County

Frederick County

Garrett County

Harford County

- Leap of Faith Fun Run (7K prediction run – Approximately 4.35 miles) – Sunday, February 17, 2008 – Abington (Harford County, MD) – 3rd/4th overall – 27:24 (predicted time: 28:00)


Howard County

- Howard County Striders (H.C.S.) Weekly Series (“Operation Iceberg”) #1: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-mile run – Sunday, January 6, 2008 – Columbia/Ellicott City area – 7th overall – 32:18

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #3: Atholton High School 5K Run – Sunday, January 20, 2008 – Columbia – 6th overall – 18:38

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #5: Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Center 15K (first 15K I’ve done as part of the H.C.S. weekly series :) – Columbia – 11th overall – 1:10:11

Kent County

Montgomery County

- 5th Annual Walnut Hill Ribbon Run 5K – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Gaithersburg – 2nd overall – 19:51

Prince George’s (P.G.) County

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, January 27, 2008 – Landover:

- 1,500 meter race – 15th overall - 5:04.9

- 800 meter race – 2nd overall –2:17.5

- 3,200 meter race – winner – 11:24 (best indoor track time for that distance by one second, and the 10:43 3,000 meter split I believe was right around an indoor track best time for me as well :))

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, February 3, 2008 – Landover:

- 800 meter run – 3rd overall – 2:15

- 3,200 meter run – 2nd overall – Have not gotten time yet, but I’m sure it was close to the 11:24 I hit there last weekend :)

Queen Anne’s County

Saint Mary’s County

Somerset County

Talbot County

Washington County

Wicomico County

Worcester County

Events outside of Maryland

Delaware

Kent County

New Castle County

Sussex County

Virginia

Accomack County

Arlington County

- Potomac Valley Track Club All-Comers’ Indoor Track & Field Meet – Sunday, February 3, 2008 - Thomas Jefferson Community Center, Arlington:

- 1 mile run – 6th overall – 5:17.0

- 800 meter run – 6th overall – 2:22.5

- 3,000 meter run – 7th overall – 10:59.8

Northampton County

No comments: