Friday, February 26, 2010

I guess every county in Maryland got snow...

... And of course me and this blog would probably be one of the few to mention that. Hahaha. I am sure it is no big secret about all the snow we got the other week (and depending upon where you live in the Mid-Atlantic or New England regional areas of the United States of America, you are still getting the snow). Where I live around the Baltimore area of Maryland, we have reached some record-breaking snowfall accumulations with the snow that began on Friday, February 5 and continued onward to like maybe late Saturday February 6. I got snowed in at my parents' house in Howard County, MD, where we got like 33.8 inches, which I think is more snow than I had seen in my life. Then, just when we were able to begin to shovel ourselves out, more snow came on Tuesday, February 9 through Wednesday, February 10. As a result, I was out of work for over a week since I work a coupla jobs as a teachers' aide in the Howard County Public School System.

It was nice to spend a week with my parents (and we were joined by my younger brother just before the second snow storm hit) and get some nice family time in of watching movies and playing games. I know some people had it much much rougher than we, and I hope that if that is you, that you are feeling better. I appreciated the downtime, I did not even mind too much shoveling the snow, and it was great that my parents had a treadmill that I could run on. I typically find running on them a bit uncomfortable and monotonous at times, yet I was grateful to at least have something to run on.

This "second winter break" from school reminded me of the Blizzard of '96, which occurred in the winter of 1996 when I was a sixth grader. Just like this recent snow, the Blizzard of '96 probably occurred right around the same time all this snow did, and it closed schools in Howard County's Public School System for at least a week, giving us a "second winter break" in that this happened after the typical winter break that includes Christmas and New Year's. I was at the same place as I was during the Blizzard of '96; my parents' house. Except this time, instead of playing videogames, sledding and building snow forts, I occupied myself by doing things on the internet, watching t.v., talking on the phone with friends (especially Kay), doing a little homework, and running on my parents' treadmill. Amazing how much I have grown in fourteen years thereabouts, haha!

One other thing that was great for me personally was to look at closings throughout the state of Maryland, and to see all the different counties mentioned and to think of how awesome God is to have helped me do something I really enjoy in each of those Maryland counties: Run races! it was something great to think about, even if Howard County Public Schools eventually had to open on their regularly scheduled time and I had to go back to work, haha!



The last race I ran was the Mighty Medford Freeway 5K Run in the Westminster area of Carroll County, MD on Sunday, January 10, 2010. I thought by now I would have done a little more than two races so far this year, but I am not at all disappointed. I realize going this long without doing a race can seem like quite a stretch for me, but I guess since I have some different priorities and that I am not quite in as strong of running shape as I was before, maybe I feel a little less inclined to do as many races. I know all this snow has canceled and postponed quite a few races throughout Maryland as well as the surrounding states. God-willing, I hope to do some more races once again around early-to-mid March (more on that later). Jeez, it could very well be over two months for me without doing a race depending on how things go, though I am not complaining.


All right, thank you all for stopping by and I hope you have a blessed evening :)

No comments: