Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rock Hall, Maryland Oyster Run 5K Race


































Oh man, it's been a while since I've updated. Well this entry's about a race I ran in a couple of weekends ago (on Saturday, October 13, 2007 to be precise). These photos are from this race, which was called the inaugural Oyster Run 5K Race, part of the Oyster and Seafood Festival in Rock Hall (Kent County), Maryland. I had a good time there in the quaint bayside town. Not many year-around running events in Kent County, so I found it a priviledge to get in another one (the only other one I ran in this county this year was the Chestertown Tea Party Distance Classic 10-Mile Run on Saturday, May 26). This was the first race I ran in just for fun since I started my "off season" this month in October.
However, I was pleasantly surprised to have still finished second overall, first in my age group (which consistsent of 20-to-like-35-year-olds), and I ran a 20:10. Had I not started off so... casually and not been cramping up a little bit, I probably would have broken twenty minutes. That was faster than I expected to run. I was thinkin' maybe two or three minutes slower. Then again, I guess maybe the short jogs I did earlier in the week may have helped, and also that the course was really flat and had some nice shaded areas, but still, 20:10 was a pretty strong 5K time considering I am not trying to run hard.
It was a pretty neat experience. Visiting Rock Hall two times earlier this year and going on runs through the town both times, I thought it would be cool to actually do a race in the town. Almost a year ago I heard about the Rock Hall Flat Five around the Fourth of July, but I passed on that this year to go to San Diego to visit my relatives (which was an awesome time). However, I was blessed to have found out about this event. Less than twenty people ran in it and I think one person walked. I hope it happens again in the future and maybe with a bit of a larger turnout too. The folks putting on the race let me give some coverage and post the results through my Blogspot.Com account and you can check 'em out at your leisure at: http://runinkentcountymd.blogspot.com Click on the "Oyster Run 5K Race" link and you should be able to see the results as well as some photos I took.
Thank you all for reading, so glad I finally got to run a race in Rock Hall, Maryland too. Enjoy the evening :)

No comments: