Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Last weekend - First week or so on this "Off Season"






Well this past week I have not done any running at all, and I sorta miss it already, but I'm keepin' busy with other things. Since I've run over sixty races in the past eight months or so, I felt like my body was really starting to get the brunt of it. I figured that since there was not much else I was training for in the near future, it seemed like an opportune time to give my body some rest after running in all these running events in all the counties of Delaware and Maryland this year!
I've been keepin' busy as a paraeducator at the Homewood Center and pretty much spending time with family and friends. For the past several days, I have been feeling a little sick to my stomach of-and-on, but I think now I am doing a lot better. It could have been worse, but right now it feels great to have a healthy appetite. This evening it feels like I just wanna eat, haha!
Last weekend I volunteered at a race in Howard County. On Saturday, October 6, I volunteered at Gorman Crossing Elementary School's 3rd annual Back to School 5K around North Laurel, Maryland. I had run this race for the first time last summer on Saturday, September 9, 2006 and I enjoyed the experience and wanted to keep up my involvement in it even though I am keepin' myself from actually running right now, so I decided to volunteer. I mainly worked at the finish line, helping get times down (which was the first time I had done that). I felt a little overwhelmed by the responsibility of it, but I got used to it and there were other people working there helping me too. I knew the race coordinator (who was from the Mongtomery County Road Runners Club in Maryland) who assigned me my tasks and he said he remembered me telling him about my Maryland-wide running quest (http://www.runineverymdcounty.blogspot.com)
It was a neat experience, and of course I sorta wished I was actually running in the race. Oh well, it sounded like they were probably going to put it on next year, so we'll see. The course changed a lot from its previous two years. Instead of running out along Gorman Road over Interstate 95 near Savage, Maryland, it instead went through the Emerson Community (where I ran in those one-mile fun runs in August). That sounded kind of neat, I enjoyed running through that relatively new development in the past. It's a little challenging, with steadily climbing hills.
The photo above is out front of Gorman Crossing Elementary School before the race started.
After helping out at that race, I went to the Maryland Renaissance Faire (the "RenFest" as it seems to commonly be called) around the Crownsville area of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It was neat, took some scenic photos of the Medieval atmosphere of Revel Grove, where the RenFest occurs in Maryland. I'll hopefully get some stuff on that up sometime in the near future! I hope everyone has a good night and a great week out there!

No comments: