Friday, June 27, 2008

I interrupt these updates to tell you I am getting ready for my first triathlon attempt...


















... Yup that's right, I am going to tri and do a multi-sport event: The General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon at General Smallwood Park in Marbury/Indian Head (Charles County), MD. I have been doing a lot of cross training coming off of my plantar fascial injury with biking, swimming, and weight lifting and I thought it would be neat to tri and set a goal with it in addition to my running, so I decided to train for a triathlon that includes a 750-meter swim (that's a bit less than half-a-mile), a 16-mile bike ride, and a 5K run. Another reason I've been doing it is because it's a running event in Charles County, a county in Maryland where I at least have trouble finding year-around running events, and if I haven't told you, I'm now trying to do a running event in every county in Maryland within half-a-year's time period this year, and I think this triathlon would fall nicely into that schedule.
I think this will be a big step for me athletically. To have come from a kid who was afraid of going underwater or going into the deep end of a local neighborhood pool, to getting ready to do a triathlon, is an awesome testimony of God's transformative powers in my life. There was a time in my life where I felt that at least among my group of peers and other kids and teens my age, I would be the least likely to attempt something like this, now I feel like I'm in shape enough to justify tri-ing a triathlon! I have a lot of faith that God will get me through and I hope that this can help boost my testimony of how Jesus Christ has changed and continues to change my life. I would say the best way you could support me is with prayer; especially for all the logistics involved, the transition areas between the swimming, biking, and running parts of the event, and just for good health and safety, and most importantly, I would like for this to glorify God and to do this as if I am serving God. If you could pray for me in any way in regards to this, that would be much appreciated!

Now I know that my last post came from events I did around the beginning-to-middle of May (like Mother's Day), and I've leapt to the present in my posts. I really apologize for my slow rate of updating on this thing the past couple of months. I'm looking forward to getting caught back up with it. Between May and now, I've done quite a few races and events; experiences I would like to share about on this blog. It's about a month-and-a-half's-worth of material, but I'm hoping to cover it. I think it's been taking time to actually make and do these events, plus training for the triathlon, has slowed me down in writing. I'm fortunate I've been able to use the weight room, stationary bikes, and swimming pool at Howard Community College, since I've taken teaching certificate courses over there.

I hope that at least with this post I've brought you up to speed on my next and current running-related endeavor. My next post should be back to mid-May about some running events I did back then (along with some photos hopefully). Also know that I'm pretty sure my level of running fitness has improved since May and I have been running fairly consistently again (like five-to-six times a week thereabouts). I'm hoping to get back into a more structured running regimen that would include interval workouts, possibly fartleks (I think it's Swedish for "speed play" where you go for a run and run some parts of it hard and other parts of it easy), and long runs within a week-or-two's worth of training.

I also hope that once I'm all caught up on updating (and God-willing I hope that happens), I'll probably bring back the list of the running events I've done in each county of Maryland so far this year.

All right, thank you all so much for reading. It is a blessing to have your attention, support and prayers. God-willing I get through this triathlon, I'll get the details about it once I've caught up to that point in my updates. If you would like details sooner, just e-mail or call me. All right, God bless you all and enjoy the day and weekend :)

No comments: