Thursday, April 24, 2008

After running Clyde's, I think I should back off of the running... At least a bit!

Hey there everyone! Last Sunday (April 20, 2008) I enjoyed my five-year anniversary of accepting Jesus Christ as my personal savior, and one of the ways I felt like I celebrated was running the 30th Annual Clyde's American 10K in Columbia (Howard County), Maryland. This is a rather challenging course, but it also tends to bring out a lot of competition that usually stimulates some good races. I ran all right, but not as well as I would have liked to have run nor as fast as I should have run for the pain and discomfort I was feeling in my right foot. Like it did in the Road Runner's Club of America Ten-Mile Club Challenge back in February, the Funny Bunny 5K in early March, and sometimes in my runs and races over the past few months, my right foot was hurting. I don't think it was as bad or as tender as it was back in February when I ran that 10-miler, but it still hurt and it felt draining. It started to bother me as early as the second mile and lasted for most of the race. During the second half, at least maybe after running the portion on Route 108 in Ellicott City, Maryland, which has the longest hill on the course in the fourth mile, I felt a little better. Perhaps it was because there was more downhill after this point, or maybe it was mental motivation because I was closer to the finish line. Maybe this is as much mental as it is physical. I don't know if it has anything to do with plantar fascia (I had plantar fascitis, or something similar to it, back when I ran for Salisbury University and I was having similar challenges to what I'm having now with my foot). So here's how I ran:

1-mile: 6:10 (what I ran back in 2000 and possibly in 2001 at this race)
2 miles: 12:32
3 miles: 19:26
4 miles: 26:42
5 miles: 33:59
10K (approximately 6.2 miles) finish: 42:09.65 (guntime), 42:06.20 (chiptime)

I guess considering the challenge of the course as well as how my foot was feeling, I'm satisfied with my time. I mean, it was faster than my time of 43:58.16 ran on April 22, 2001 (which I think was a Sunday). I'm sure that this course was the same as it was when I ran it in 2001, but I know that 2001 was changed from what it was in 2000 (which I thought was slightly easier, and that's where I ran my first sub-forty-minute 10K time of about 39:26, even though they had me down for about 39:37.36, but no complaints there). So I'm happy and grateful to God about that! I expected faster, especially since two weeks before in Cumberland (Allegany County), Maryland, I ran a 41:40 in the Spring is Here! 10K and I thought that was just as hilly (if not more so), than Clyde's 10K. Plus, it was just almost a year ago that day (Saturday, April 21, 2007) that I had run 37:59 at the Adkins Arboretum Arbor Day Run 10K in Ridgely (Caroline County), Maryland. Yea that course was flat with mostly light hills on cross-country and trails, but even around that time, I was breaking 39 minutes in the 10K quite consistently. However, now it seems because of these foot pains, I'm struggling just as hard (if not harder) to get around 42 minutes. Heck, sometimes I feel like I can't even run to the point of getting really tired or exhausted before I'm slowed up by foot pains, ha-ha!
Well, fortunately I told one of my buddies from the Howard County Striders about it at the awards ceremony by the Columbia Lake front (Lake Kittamaqundi), and he recommended I set up an appointment with this sports rehabilitation physical therapy doctor and I gave the office a call and it looks like it works out that my insurance covers most of it, and now I have an appointment to get my foot checked out next Tuesday afternoon. YAY! I can't promise I'll hear much encouraging news, but at least I heard from my buddy that he does great muscle-manipulation massages/exercises that seem really effective and have helped my buddy through a series of injuries (and now he's running great)! I dunno if I'll have a similar success story, but I am very confident that if God wants me to improve as a runner and continue to set and try to achieve various running goals, He will bless me with the abilities to do so and He will not give me more than I can handle. He promises that in His Word (the Bible) and I know He is with me and for me!

In the mean-time, I am not planning on running any more this week. The last time I ran was Monday, the day after running Clyde's 10K, and that was a fairly light run in Ellicott City around the Long Gate Shopping Center area, and I probably got in about two-miles' worth. I don't think time off would hurt. Instead, I'm planning on keeping up with the weight lifting and doing more swimming and running. On Saturday, May 3, I had signed up to run the 3rd Annual McCready Health Services Foundation's Founder's Day 8K Run in Crisfield (Somerset County), Maryland. I've run that race the previous two years they have had it and I thoroughly enjoyed that smaller, yet well-organized and scenic race on the Maryland Eastern Shore. It's very flat and runs through a shaded neighborhood, out on a country road, to and through a good portion of Jane's Island State Park, by a trailer park, and then finishes right around where the race starts on the McCready Health Services Foundation's campus. The folks who put it on are very nice, organized, and they put on a terrific health expo in the hospital afterwards. Of course, they have awards, door prizes, as well as food and drinks afterwards. If any one is interested in running it, please check it out at: http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1538842&assetId=1a867b80-08cf-4472-8773-8072fd90cdd8

Now I signed up for this event not really anticipating that my foot would still be bothering me and that I would be considering taking time off. However, I also told one of my friends I'd see about going with him to it, so I think what I'm going to do is probably still go to this race and not really race (probably tempo it at best, maybe run moderately). I'll see how I feel. I might go for a run or two a coupla days before this event. If by some miracle I feel really terrific as a result of this race, I may get back up with the consistent running, if not, I'll probably just lay low on the running until late May/early June, and then God-willing I may be in a little bit of a better condition to work my way back into shape with running (and hopefully I would have kept up with lifting, swimming, and biking at the gym). Then, I would still have a little bit of spring left and all of the summer to get back into some decent shape and hopefully do some races and running events in counties of Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia's eastern shore where I have not done any yet this year. I hope I feel better. God-willing, I recover well. Right now my right foot is not hurting yet at the same time, my body does not really feel much of an urge to go outside and run, so maybe this little break is needed more so than I realize!


Thank you all for reading! Tomorrow, Friday, April 25, 2008, is my birthday (whoohoo :) I'm lookin' forward to it. I know I probably won't run on my birthday, but I think it's for the best. At least I'll probably get to see my family and some friends too; that should be nice! All right, thanks again for reading and I hope that you all have a blessed evening and weekend :)



Running Events I have done this year as of Thursday, April 24, 2008

Maryland

Allegany County

- Spring is Here! 10K - Sunday, April 6, 2008 - Cumberland - 7th overall (20-29 age-group division winner) - 41:40

Anne Arundel County

-Valentine’s Day 5K Run – Saturday, February 9, 2008 – Kinder Mill Farm Park, Millersville/Severna Park – 10th overall (3rd in male 20-29 age group division) – 17:59.15 (my best time on course :)

Baltimore City

- Kelly St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock 5K – Sunday, March 16, 2008 – Baltimore City – 61st overall (guntime-based) – 18:33 (guntime), 18:28 (chiptime)

Baltimore County

- Baltimore Road Runners Club (BRRC) Grand Prix Series Eight-Mile Run – Sunday, January 13, 2008 – Loch Raven Reservoir – 11th overall – 53:34

Calvert County

- First Annual Southern Maryland Community Network Resolution 5K Run/Walk – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – Prince Frederick – 4th overall (20-29 age group winner) – 18:47

Caroline County

- First Annual St. Patrick’s Day 5K – Saturday, March 15, 2008 – Denton – 2nd overall (20-29 age group winner) – 18:58 (clock), 18:55 (watch)

Carroll County

- Winfield Mile – Tuesday, January 1, 2008 – South Carroll High School, Winfield – 6th overall (2nd in 20-29 age group) – 5:11 (clock), 5:10 (watch)

Cecil County

Charles County

Dorchester County

Frederick County

- First annual Great "Dead Man's Hill" Downhill Mile - Friday, April 4, 2008 - Brunswick - 4th overall - 4:50 (fastest mile-time in a while and my fastest mile-time off of a track :)

Garrett County

Harford County

- Leap of Faith Fun Run (7K prediction run – Approximately 4.35 miles) – Sunday, February 17, 2008 – Abington (Harford County, MD) – 3rd/4th overall (8th closest to predicted time) – 27:24 (predicted time: 28:00)


Howard County

- Howard County Striders (H.C.S.) Weekly Series (“Operation Iceberg”) #1: Burleigh Manor Middle School 5-mile run – Sunday, January 6, 2008 – Columbia/Ellicott City area – 7th overall – 32:18

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #3: Atholton High School 5K Run – Sunday, January 20, 2008 – Columbia – 6th overall – 18:38

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #5: Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Center 15K (first 15K I’ve done as part of the H.C.S. weekly series :) – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Columbia – 11th overall – 1:10:11

- Road Runners Club of America Ten-Mile Club Challenge – Sunday, February 24, 2008 – Columbia, MD – 122nd overall – 1:07:58.85 (clock), 1:07:52 (watch)

- H.C.S. “Operation Iceberg” #9: Elkhorn 10K – Sunday, March 30, 2008 – Columbia – 13th overall – 43:42 (clock), 43:39 (watch) – Ran negative splits: 21:53 the first half! :)

- 16th Annual Mt. Hebron High School Viking Backers Viking 5K - Sunday, April 13, 2008 - Ellicott City - 2nd overall - 18:52.20

- 30th Annual Clyde's American 10K - Sunday, April 20, 2008 - Columbia - 58th overall (gun time), 59th overall (chip time) - 42:09.65 (gun time), 42:06.20 (chip time - best time on this variation of Clyde's American 10K course :)

Kent County

Montgomery County

- 5th Annual Walnut Hill Ribbon Run 5K – Sunday, February 10, 2008 – Gaithersburg – 2nd overall – 19:51

Prince George’s (P.G.) County

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, January 27, 2008 – Landover:

- 1,500 meter race – 15th overall - 5:04.9

- 800 meter race – 2nd overall –2:17.5

- 3,200 meter race – winner – 11:24 (best indoor track time for that distance by one second, and the 10:43 3,000 meter split I believe was right around an indoor track best time for me as well :)

- Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex Track Showcase (indoor track) – Sunday, February 3, 2008 – Landover:

- 800 meter run – 3rd overall – 2:15

- 3,200 meter run – 2nd overall – Have not gotten time yet, but I’m sure it was close to the 11:24 I hit there last weekend :)

Queen Anne’s County

- A Day at the Races – Saturday, March 29, 2008 – Queen Anne’s County High School, Centreville:

- 5K (on the high school cross country course) – Winner – 18:59 (probably a little shorter than a 5K, somewhere between 3 and 3.1 miles)

- 1,600 meter/1-mile track open fun run – 3rd overall – 6:34

Saint Mary’s County

Somerset County

Talbot County

- Talbot Kids Fun Run (advertised as three-miles, but less than that) – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – North Easton Sportsplex (Rails-to-Trails), Easton – Winner – Probably ran low-to-mid 14’s based on the times of other runners (I did not run my watch on this one)

Washington County

Wicomico County

- Mid-Shore Family YMCA Funny Bunny 5K Run – Saturday, March 8, 2008 – Salisbury – 2nd overall (20-29 age-group division winner) – 19:35

Worcester County

- Ocean City Half-Marathon 5K - Saturday, April 12, 2008 - Ocean City/West Ocean City - 2nd overall - 19:11

Events outside of Maryland

Delaware

Kent County

New Castle County

Sussex County

District of Columbia – Washington

- 410th Tidal Basin 3K – Wednesday, March 19, 2008 – Tidal Basin, Washington D.C. – 9th overall – 10:46

Virginia

Accomack County

Arlington County

- Potomac Valley Track Club All-Comers’ Indoor Track & Field Meet – Sunday, February 3, 2008 - Thomas Jefferson Community Center, Arlington:

- 1 mile run – 6th overall – 5:17.0

- 800 meter run – 6th overall – 2:22.5

- 3,000 meter run – 7th overall – 10:59.8

Northampton County

No comments: